Hyde under contract after 2022

Going Underground

On 4/27/2022 at 7:52 PM, foxfield said:

IF Hyde fails once talent comes on board, the likelyhood that they go to a minor league manager with no ML experience is almost nil.  Unless the only criteria for the job is lack of money.

Some guy named Earl says hello. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Some guy named Earl says hello. 

That is true...but different game today.  I don't really feel any different today....other than Hyde looks pretty good with his first crack at talent.  But also...Elias has proven to be very disciplined and I could see him want a manager he can mold in regards to data....someone like Earl would be great.

I think Hyde and Elias work extremely well together and I have no doubt Hyde will be back. 

Could I question some of his lineup decisions?  Sure.  But the clubhouse seems tight knit and fully behind him, and his bullpen decisions have panned out all year.  Honestly I’d give him a solid A for how he’s managed this team, regardless of whether he plays Odor too often or bats him too high in the lineup.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/6/2022 at 5:56 AM, foxfield said:

That is true...but different game today.  I don't really feel any different today....other than Hyde looks pretty good with his first crack at talent.  But also...Elias has proven to be very disciplined and I could see him want a manager he can mold in regards to data....someone like Earl would be great.

Britton has a keen baseball mind and he’s managed many of the guys in the system currently up out at AAA. One of my best friends coached him and Zack. Players like him, as many here say the Orioles like Hyde. Here’s the thing, though, likability isn’t always a determining factor in a manager getting the most potential out of his players. But no one questions his baseball acumen. In used to think Cash was good until I watched him mismanage the Rays in game seven of the World Series. The Dodgers thank you, sir. 

Heck, look at Roberts of the Dodgers. I can’t remember a guy doing less with more than he’s done with the Dodgers. I’d rather a guy who can motivate his players without being their “friend”. Think Billy Martin or again, Earl….Palmer knows, of course and not everyone is Jim Palmer and Earl Weaver, but it worked. Sparky Anderson. I guess Lasorda, although, he made many questionable decisions in big games to be considered on a par with those three in my mind, but his overall temperament wasn’t always conducive to a touchy fly clubhouse, if you get my meaning.

Bochy was good, don’t remember much about his clubhouse persona. Buck changed the culture in Baltimore when he became manager and it started by letting everyone know what was expected of them. I still think he was the right guy at the right time and then, he wasn’t.

It is probably correct, though, to say it’s a different game today. Players are paid much more today and thereby managers are expendable. Do the bidding of ownership and/or the GM or we’ll find someone who will. Hey, it’s business.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you were Elias would you pay him any more for winning the award?

The value is in the work, not the accolades. 

Spoken like a guy about to be looking for a new managing gig. 

Seriously, couldn’t agree more. Girardi, Cash….there are too many more to list who have won awards and been overhyped.