Are the Red Sox really this bad

Greenpastures23

The Red Sox are top-heavy but have no depth. Devers/Bogaerts/Story might be the best infield in MLB, and they have a couple other great players, but the rest of their team is meh. They don't have the top to bottom talent of Toronto, New York, and Tampa. They overperformed last season and I think they're probably just a ~.500 team this year. 

But, top talent is important and they're still a quick spending spree or lucky month away from contention. The rebalanced schedule next year will help them too. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

The Red Sox are top-heavy but have no depth. Devers/Bogaerts/Story might be the best infield in MLB, and they have a couple other great players, but the rest of their team is meh. They don't have the top to bottom talent of Toronto, New York, and Tampa. They overperformed last season and I think they're probably just a ~.500 team this year. 

But, top talent is important and they're still a quick spending spree or lucky month away from contention. The rebalanced schedule next year will help them too. 

I think this is a pretty good summation.  They have some names and star power but they're thin everywhere else.  

I'd consider this season a success if we somehow found a way to finish ahead of them in the standings.  

By the way, despite the Tigers big signings making our rebuild look bad, they are 7-14. Baez has an .800+ OPS, but Eduardo is 0-2/5.33. For Torkelson making the opening day roster, they were rewarded with .190/.660. 

Semien has .440 OPS for the 8-14 Rangers. They would have been better off resigning Lyles!

Witt is hitting .562 OPS for the 7-14 Royals. 

• Upvote 1

The problem is the Red Sox are never bad for long.  The 2012 Red Sox lost 93 games and were saddled with awful contracts.  They somehow unloaded them in basically one fell swoop with the Dodgers, got rid of Bobby Valentine, and won the WS one year later.  They were awful in the shortened 2020.  Then made it to the ALCS last year.  They should benefit from playing the Os if for no other reason than JD Martinez.  The dude has an OPS of 1.147 against the Os.....for this career.  In 86 games and 381 plate appearances, which is a pretty big sample size.  

• 1 month later...

They've really turned it around* 

Since May 8, they haven't lost a series EXCEPT for to that scrappy BAL team.

I just learned today Chaim Bloom was a Yalie, and he and Mike Elias are two months apart, in case they were roommates or something.

*I still think they aren't very good.