The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you match 8 yrs, $23 mm/yr? If that's true, it is getting pretty insane.
I'd match that, I think. My opinion of what Tex is worth has gone up recently.

With I think fangraph's analysis that he is worth roughly a 7/$175M contract, and my own digging into what similar players to Tex have gone on to do later in their careers, I don't think I'd have a problem with going to 8/$184M or a bit higher. I expect Tex to remain in the 130 OPS+ range for the next 5-6 years, and then slowly go down by about 10 OPS+ points a year. For the impact he'd make on the franchise, I'm more willing to go all out for him now than I had been earlier in the year when I felt 8/$160M was the most I'd go.

Does Tex become the most hated athlete amongst Baltimore fans?

No. Not even close. If the deal is 8/184, he is taking 30 million more than the O's are offering and going to a place that is going to win for the foreseeable future. Who can really blame him?

If Tex signs with the Sux and the Orioles didn't step up their offer, I am done with this team for 2009.
You've been believing Belkast's reports all offseason long. There won't be any official report of what the Orioles finally offered if he signs elsewhere. So you're all of a sudden just gonna assume that the Orioles never improved from their initial offer and that Belkast has been wrong all along and they never made a "Wow" offer?

Archived