The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Dunn ain't signing here either, he'll take the Nats money.

If Tex signs with the Sux, it's over for the next 4-5 years...

Maybe it's me but I just don't get all these gloom and doom posts that it is over for the next 4-6 years. I'm sorry but one hitter, as good as he is, does not determine this organization's fate over the next 4-5 years. Trade Roberts for 2 or 3 good prospects and keep doing what MacPhail has been doing. Whether we have Teixeira or not, the organization's fate is tied to the pitchers we have in the minors right now.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunn ain't signing here either, he'll take the Nats money.

If Tex signs with the Sux, it's over for the next 4-5 years...

If he really does sign with them after all of the stuff he said during the season about wanting to come play here, then I will give up on baseball for the 2009 season. No looking at the sports section, no looking at stuff, NOTHING.:angryfire:

You've been believing Belkast's reports all offseason long. There won't be any official report of what the Orioles finally offered if he signs elsewhere. So you're all of a sudden just gonna assume that the Orioles never improved from their initial offer and that Belkast has been wrong all along and they never made a "Wow" offer?

I guess the Orioles' idea of "wow" was Tex's idea of "ho hum."

One of the many things Belkast has said was:

I'll tell you why I think Tex wants to be here. I was told that if someone beats our offer he will give us the final chance to beat it.

So I'm hoping that's accurate, and once Tex is done with Boston he'll give the Orioles a final chance to put a best and final offer on the table. I won't blame the O's at all if they can't match 8/$184 mm, but I hope they at least put their best possible offer out there so that Tex can decide whether any extra money in the Boston offer is outweighed by his desire to play near home.

I think this is over tomorrow if not sooner.

Nobody will want to sign here. Roberts won't extend, Markakis will walk.

A Teixeira signing would have been huge for this team.

Now it looks like MacPhail will get his wish and will turn us into the Rays (before last year) for the next 10 years...

Why are the Red Sox ruining baseball for reportedly offering Tex a contract that most of us would be happy if the Orioles gave him?

Great point.

We also don't know what he exact offers were nor do we know the whole story. For all we know Angelos/AM knew Tex didn't want to play in Baltimore and still took a stab, and felt no use to offer 23 million a year for nearly a decade for someone who didn't want to come.

Red Sox got the contract right, no biggie.

Now it looks like MacPhail will get his wish and will turn us into the Rays for the next 10 years...

Does this include the World Series appearance?

I'm game.

I'm sorry, but if this is the case, the Orioles make me sick.... here's to an even MORE miserable 12th straight losing season. What a stinking waste of everyone's time.

Sorry, but I think we were headed for a 12th consecutive losing season with or without Teixeira. He probably did too and perhaps that is why it looks like Boston will be the winner for his services.

Now it looks like MacPhail will get his wish and will turn us into the Rays (before last year) for the next 10 years...

You're right, Roberts and Markakis you have to think were watching this closely to see if Angelos was willing to go and and get this guy. I don't see why they have an incentive to stay, especially Roberts.

You think Sheets will want to sign here if we don't get Tex?

People still do not get it. Teixeira is choosing Boston because they are offering 8/184. If the Orioles offered 8/200 he would be an Oriole. We are putting an oweful lot of stock into one guy. The Orioles offense was top 12 in EVERY offensive category in 2008. The team could hit, but they couldn't pitch. If Sheets has 2 year options and we go 3/40 then we have a chance to sign him. Teixiera has little to do with Ben Sheets.

In 10 years. You want to wait that long...

Ugh I'm going to be sick... :(

You know I don't want to, but if it takes half a decade to get to be a good team, then I will wait. We've all waited a long time.

I'm an Orioles fan and I will still be one tomorrow with or without Tex or with or without a winning season.

Archived