The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on guys, you guys really think PA didn't (or hasn't) upped his offer? Tex is the guy PA has wanted for a long time, and I'm sure he is (or has) done his damnedest to get him. I know I'm not a fan of PA, but I'd be willing to bet he has put up a good offer, and Tex spurned us for the chance to win.

I know this may not be the popular stance, but I don't think the FO is the one to blame here. I think this one was all on Tex's preference.

The only thing I know about this whole thing (Tex or not) is that no matter what, no matter how bad they are I absolutely LOVE the Baltimore Orioles, and once we all get our heads on straight, I think we all know that we are still going in the right direction.

People still do not get it. Teixeira is choosing Boston because they are offering 8/184. If the Orioles offered 8/200 he would be an Oriole. We are putting an oweful lot of stock into one guy. The Orioles offense was top 12 in EVERY offensive category in 2008. The team could hit, but they couldn't pitch. If Sheets has 2 year options and we go 3/40 then we have a chance to sign him. Teixiera has little to do with Ben Sheets.

Yeah I get it bigtime. I bet you anything Tex has more to do with Ben Sheets than you think. He also has a lot to do with BRob extending. I don't think people understand that Tex is more than just a great baseball player. I'm not saying he is the end all be all, but him signing here would be much more than just on field production.

Another incarnation!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsGdNW_FrI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsGdNW_FrI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Haha don't tease us.

Really? Why?

The information we've gotten was that we were willing to go north of $200 million.

$184 is not as bad as people think. Do people think contracts are going to start going down?

I do think contracts will go down. The differance between Dunn and Teixeira is not $7 Million per season. Go get Dunn for 4/64, he will put up good enough numbers to make our lineup scary. Use the extra $7 Million to sign Sheets. Bring up Arrieta and let him pitch with Guthrie. Run Olson and Liz out there until our young pitching comes together.

You know I don't want to, but if it takes half a decade to get to be a good team, then I will wait. We've all waited a long time.

I'm an Orioles fan and I will still be one tomorrow with or without Tex or with or without a winning season.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I owe you some rep.

I agree with that, but I think the "Red Sox are ruining baseball" arguments are just incredibly weak and petty.

At least come with something worth discussing, like whether or not the O's should match/beat an 8/$184M offer. Not crying poor about how the big bad Red Sox are making things so tough for the Orioles.

Where did I cry about the Sox? Just said we need Tex worse than they do.

As a Sunday plan holder, I'll be dreading those Sunday afternoon games against the Red Sox this year, where all the obnoxious Sox fans will be heckling the Orioles and their fans about not being able to get Tex and how Tex is sticking it to his hometown team blah blah blah.

I didn't think Sox games at Camden Yahds could get more miserable... but now I'm pretty sure they can. Yankees games might seem like a dream in comparison.

Still holding out hope that he'll go play somewhere else if he doesn't come here. So sad.

I like where your head's at with regard to two good players for the same amount that you'd pay for one great one, but why do people assume we'll just go "get" Dunn and Sheets now? Why would they come here? Do you think the Orioles are the only team that will want/need their services?

I'm not an OH aficionado like everyone else on here, but this theory that we'll just go "get" these guys boggles my mind. Have we not had 11 straight losing seasons? I'm sure that other free agents will be impressed that we couldn't even land a guy who grew up 20 minutes from the freaking stadium.

I do not know if they will make an effort or not, but we will find out if Mark signs with the Red Sox.

Come on guys, you guys really think PA didn't (or hasn't) upped his offer? Tex is the guy PA has wanted for a long time, and I'm sure he is (or has) done his damnedest to get him. I know I'm not a fan of PA, but I'd be willing to bet he has put up a good offer, and Tex spurned us for the chance to win.

I know this may not be the popular stance, but I don't think the FO is the one to blame here. I think this one was all on Tex's preference.

We have seen zero evidence they have raised the original offer.

MacPhail said it was a flexible offer but that doesnt mean it was raised.

I really do not think we raised our offer of 7/150, we expected a hometown discount and correctly we did not get one.

IMO, Tex never wanted to come here. He used the O's to drive up the price that Boston would have to pay. With the Yanks not interested, with him saying he wanted to be on the east coast, and everyone thinking that there was no way he would sign with the Nats, that left the O's. He said he always wanted to play here and I'm sure Boras kept reminding Boston of that as well. And personally, if he never wears an Oriole uniform, it would be to soon.

Archived