Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

If Boras wants an opt out after 3-4 years... why would they care how many years the contact is worth after the opt out year? Wouldn't the $$/year be the deciding factor?

Well, there is no guarantee of an opt out...Tex could get hurt...He could struggle some...Or, he could just not be in a market where he can get more money.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Boras wants an opt out after 3-4 years... why would they care how many years the contact is worth after the opt out year? Wouldn't the $$/year be the deciding factor?

Because you are assuming that he will continue to improve over the next few years and then opt out. Because this is baseball and the contracts are gaurenteed, if a players numbers did decline or if the player got injured, their agent will try to get them the most money and length of contract he could.

sorry....SG beat me to it.

If the opt out clause is for 4 years I don't think that is a huge deal. A lot can happen in 4 years. I would think drafting a 1st baseman type or seeing what Snyder or Rowell can do may make it a mute point anyway at that time. I think it is a non-issue unless it is a 3 year opt out clause. I could be way off though too.

Aren't we just about the only ones left?

Red Sox already said they're out...questionable, but they apparently haven't spoken since then

Angels definitely out

Yanks say they were never in, haven't made an offer

Nats say they won't win him

Is he ours?

Red Sox are not out at all, nor did they say they are, just said they didn't expect to be a factor based on what Boras told them regarding competing offers. In other words, they called Boras' potential bluff. Their offer is still there, and it has an extra year compared to our reported offer.

I just caught the tail in of reading something on espn news that mentioned something to do with orioles and nationals and Teix. Did anyone else see this if so what was the nature of what they were saying?

If it was the banner, all it said is that the Angels are out and the RedSox, Yankees, Nats, and Orioles are still in.

Regarding any Opt-Out clause I wouldn't consider it until after the 4th year, giving the baby birds time to develop into Major League contributors, and only an option if the Orioles fail to win 70 games that particular season. I'm assuming the only reason for an opt-out clause is to protect Tex from being on a non-improving club for the duration of the contract.

I don't know if anyone has posted this or not...I think the part about the Sox is a little interesting...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-teixeira122108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Los Angeles Angels on Sunday afternoon withdrew their offer to free-agent slugger Mark Teixeira and do not intend to continue negotiations with his agent, according to a source close to the negotiations.

Believed to have offered about $160 million over eight seasons, the Angels became the second team in recent days to declare the price on Teixeira to be too steep. The Boston Red Sox reached a similar decision Thursday night after meeting with Teixeira and agent Scott Boras. Team owner John Henry issued a statement that concluded, “ … we are not going to be a factor,” though evidence suggests negotiations are not dead.

Sources close to the process said Angels owner Arte Moreno concluded that Teixeira did not intend to play for the Angels and that his team was being used to drive up the price for the other interested clubs.

Also, a source said the Red Sox have not spoken to Boras since Thursday night, when Henry issued his statement.

A source told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday that the Angels would not re-enter the bidding for Teixeira, whom they acquired from the Atlanta Braves at the trade deadline in July.

I really wish people would pay attention and take the time to actually read the last few pages of a thread BEFORE posting OLD news. I came across this piece and the one from the LA Times and was about to post- when I actually took just over a minute to peruse the previous pages- where I miraculously saw that it was posted already- saving myself, AND EVERYONE WHO SCANS THESE PAGES, time.

Hopefully once the Tex drama ends so will this tendency for overposts.

I really wish people would pay attention and take the time to actually read the last few pages of a thread BEFORE posting OLD news. I came across this piece and the one from the LA Times and was about to post- when I actually took just over a minute to peruse the previous pages- where I miraculously saw that it was posted already- saving myself, AND EVERYONE WHO SCANS THESE PAGES, time.

Hopefully once the Tex drama ends so will this tendency for overposts.

The poster is brand new, and has been contacted by mods already. I understand the frustration, but again, new posters often take time to catch on. ;)

Archived