Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the FO looks at the potential FA market when trying to determine the best time for an opt-out clause. Such as, the FA class looks better in year 4 than 5 of the contract and therefore offer up year 4 opt out.

If anyone has any insight into this - please feel free to respond.

Honestly, I have no issue with an opt-out clause. I think it the team progresses as planned with Tex, and he becomes comfortable playing around his hometown and where his wife's family resides, then I think he'll not want to opt-out.

I also think if things don't work out, the O's continue to play 4th / 5th fiddle in the AL East, then maybe it was not meant to be and parting ways works well for both parties.

Either way - let's get this sucker done.

I wonder if the PR guys with the O's ever peruse these types of boards to gauge the fans' reactions/thoughts on issues such as this one. Am I being naive to think that they actually care what we think?

Oh yes, PR guys care... if and only if it impacts Ticket Sales...

-apologies in advance if I didn't quote properly...

Whats SOSH saying?

Here's a sample:

If there is a team out there witha better offer, that teams sucks (Nats/O's).

I would hope it would take an immense amount of money over the top of us to win this thing by either of those teams.

If that's the case, then enjoy the Beltway, Mark.

That's pretty much how they roll over there though I like this post:

I actually liked his piece and have also had a nagging feeling that Teixeira goes to the O's. Baltimore is a long shot in a very tough division, but they do have an interesting team. They were over .500 against teams not in the AL East in 2008.

They have one of the best minor league systems in the game right now. There's Wieters. For context, he is twice the prospect Lars Anderson is. If he were in the Boston organization, we'd need to scrape an inch thick layer of splooge of the minor league forum with an exacto knife. There's Matusz, and a pitcher who might be better than Matusz (Chris Tillman). These guys all have an ETA around 2010. Adam Jones is a 22-year-old with great tools who hit .270/.311/.400 at the MLB level - "he's done nothing yet" is misleading, given his potential. Lots of other talent there, as well (Markakis, Roberts, Guthrie). They are weak in the pitching department; they do not have an ace. But Jeremy Guthrie is no slouch (125 ERA+ in past 2 years).

Also, I could see their owner doing everything he can to keep Teixeira out of DC and away from other AL East teams.

Baltimore isn't as good a fit for him as Boston, Anaheim, or even the Yankees, but we need to accept that franchises with less than 90 wins in prior years are allowed to pursue big name free agents to improve their team.

Nice to see that view from a Sux fan...

Here's a sample:

That's pretty much how they roll over there...

That's not how they all are over there. But I prefer Soxprospects anyway, the posters are more informed.

And if you are going to refer to the Sox as the "Sux", I don't think u should criticize people for insulting the O's.

Archived