Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

This is true, but I would argue that we're a little farther behind the curve than they were when they spent that money.

I don't think so. They lost 119 games in 03 and lost 90 in 2004; they started taking chances and spending loot in winter 04 and their young pitching started to develop shortly thereafter.

Sound familiar ? ;)

Great sn and avatar, btw!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It certainly doesn't sound like Scott Boras has called the Orioles since well before Thursday.

And he probably wont call back... I dont know why anyone other than the Yanks, Red Sox or Angels deal with any Boras clients... he wants them to only go to those three teams b/c they can offer the most money.

Olney is on Mike and Mike..Talking about how the Angels are out.

Olney is saying we offered 140 million, not 150 million.

Red Sox not willing to go to the 200 million level.

Still thinks Boston.

The good news here is 140-150 was our initial offer and we have room to move. I would not be surprised if our initial offer was closer to 140. Over the years this team has consistently undervalued the market, which has resulted in them coming up emptyhanded. My hope is that they are prepared to make the commitment when they realize that it's going to cost 8 years 175-180 million to get him.

And he probably wont call back... I dont know why anyone other than the Yanks, Red Sox or Angels deal with any Boras clients... he wants them to only go to those three teams b/c they can offer the most money.

Sadly, I don't think the Orioles believe in calling SB because if you're the first to call, you usually come up on the short end of the talks.

By the way, I just signed up for PLUS membership. How long before that becomes activated? Like 24 hours?

Sigh. I come into work and Mark Teixiera hasn't signed.

I think Boras is not gonna call Red Sox anymore now since that meeting. I mean, that was a very public meeting even if their meeting wasn't shown on TV. So, I think Boras has decided they're out after Henry had that announcement, and I really think Boras was upset about it. So to me, it is really the Nats or Orioles, and since the Nats are worse than the O's at this point, it will come down to the Orioles.

Sigh. I come into work and Mark Teixiera hasn't signed.

I think Boras is not gonna call Red Sox anymore now since that meeting. I mean, that was a very public meeting even if their meeting wasn't shown on TV. So, I think Boras has decided they're out after Henry had that announcement, and I really think Boras was upset about it. So to me, it is really the Nats or Orioles, and since the Nats are worse than the O's at this point, it will come down to the Orioles.

What was the nature of the comment SB issued after Henry's email? It's hard to buy into anything emotion he's selling.

I really really hope you're right... After seeing that the Angels backed out of it I thought it was between us and the Nats. I in no way see Tex signing with the absolute worst team in MLB, but then again thats what Boras clients do. Sign with the worst team b/c they offered the most money, which IMO is the dumbest thing anyone can do.

What was the nature of the comment SB issued after Henry's email? It's hard to buy into anything emotion he's selling.

You're right, he's ruthless. But, he wants the best for his client, so he'll sometimes get upset at times, and that's probably the only emotion we'll ever see.

Who you going to believe? :scratchchinhmm:

If the 140M is true, that is simply lame. It would be SO typical. Letting the market set itself I guess. Funny way to show that you want to win now.

Sorry, I have trouble calling any offer of $20mil per year, or more, "lame." Especially as a first offer when you've made it clear that you're willing to go higher or for more years (flexible) once the market has sorted itself out.

Two teams that were offering the same per year salary and one more year have either dropped out entirely (Angels) or said that they're not interest in going higher (Red Sox). The Yankees are looking more like a figment of Rosenthal's and Olney's imaginations with reports that they're about to make a significant offer to Ramirez.

If they Orioles now matched Boston's 8/$160 offer, which is, essentially, the same as ours plus one year, Boras could walk away saying he got just as much as Boston was willing to pay and got Teix to the team he wanted to play for all along. A win/win/win for the player, team and most importantly, from Boras' perspective, the agent.

So, I don't think that 7/$140m was a lame first offer at all.

You're right, he's ruthless. But, he wants the best for his client, so he'll sometimes get upset at times, and that's probably the only emotion we'll ever see.

If he was going to get upset about Tex not going somewhere it would be the Red Sox. He loves them. Boras wanted Tex in Boston from the beginning.

You think he wants the best for his client? I think he only wants whats best for him, which is more money... why else would A-Rod sign with Texas back in 2000.

Well when Sabathia balloons up to 340 lbs and becomes Sidneyesque; Burnett breaks down during the second season of his 5 year contract; Manny gets pummeled by the NY press for his failures in the OF and develops a phantom illness that keeps him out of the lineup for two weeks; it might not seem like such a big deal.

Money is a great weapon, but it still helps if you aim before you shoot. I'm not sure that any of these deals would turn out to be worth what the Yanks paid over the long haul. And, the contracts are large enough that they'll be stuck with them. Very good chance that they could be buying on the down side in all three of those cases. And, I could not be happier if that turns out to be the case.

Wishful Thinking.:D

Archived