What is this team's ideal 8-man bullpen this season?

interloper

The O's have run into a lot of extra inning games lately, coupled with the Watkins early exit bullpen game, that have forced a lot of "fresh arm" moves for not-so-ideal pitchers. 

This had me thinking, if everything settles down, what is the ideal 8-man bullpen (13-pitcher maximum after 5/29)?

1. Lopez - de facto closer
2. Tate - late inning catch-all guy
3. Perez - late inning lefty flamethrower
4. Bautista - late inning righty flamethrower
5. Akin - 2-inning fireman
6. Krehbiel - solid middle reliever
7. Vespi - the new Fry
8. Kremer - long reliever with potential for more

To me, this looks about right. The 8th spot is obviously the interesting one because Kremer might eventually come at the expense of Bryan Baker, who for me remains really enticing. He just hasn't quite figured out how to be reliable. But he's had some really good moments, including a couple of much-needed 2-inning appearances. At some point the O's may have to decide on whether to pull the DFA trigger, but circumstances have kind of let them avoid it for now. (EDIT: Nevermind, he does have options). Kremer will obviously have to do more than 1 good AAA start to force a move. 

And obviously, no bullpen is ever really "set" like this. Moves have to be made depending on usage, etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thinking just of 2022 and I'd rather burn his innings in the pen than have him starting in the minors.

Yeah, I'm curious to see what their plan is ultimately. I think it's clear he will be up this season at some point, but less clear he will definitely come up and start games, IMO. 

• interloper changed the title to What is this team's ideal 8-man bullpen this season?
13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm only talking about this season. Edited the title for clarity. 

Ok.  I think this is a fluid situation.  You have guys listed that easily could either get dealt or fall off a cliff at any moment.  They also could succeed the whole year

.Some of this is based off of the rotation.

Lyles and Zimmerman Should stay in the rotation assuming they aren’t traded.

Watkins shouldn’t get another start unless it’s an emergency start or something like that.

Bradish and Wells?  I think that remains to be seen.  I’m not willing to definitively say they are in the rotation all year and if not, they can go to the pen.

Grayson will be whenever he’s called up and I tend to agree with CoC that Hall should be up sooner than later as well.

I think for this moment and when Kremer is ready (which it seems like he is), I would go with this pen with Baker being the likely odd man out but lots of different moves/parts are in play here.

I’d say you nailed on how the pen should be constructed this year. You might substitute Baumann for Kremer. Whoever has the hot hand at the time. 

I’m not sure about Vespi. Perez is the situational lefty in the pen now. Do we need 2? It might be better to have Baumann and Kremer instead of Vespi. 

Think the OP nailed it although if Grayson is not called up to fill the rotational void, this team needs a 5th starter. 

Lyles, Wells, Zimm, Bradish….

Means & Ellis - out for year 

Harvey - suspended

Watkins & Alex Wells - hurt and stink

Zac Lowther - can’t get AAA hitters out

If not Grayson, I think Kremer steps in to the rotation by process of elimination. 

BTW, Bryan Baker didn’t have it last night and it’s easy to call to DFA him after such a heartbreaking loss, but I think that’s a little rash. I see the competency there. 

Baumann and Gillespie could use a little fine tuning in Norfolk and they’ll be the next men up. 

12 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

BTW, Bryan Baker didn’t have it last night and it’s easy to call to DFA him after such a heartbreaking loss, but I think that’s a little rash. I see the competency there. 

Baumann and Gillespie could use a little fine tuning in Norfolk and they’ll be the next men up. 

I don't think my OP states that I want him DFA'd, unless you're talking about someone else. In fact I called him enticing and noted his good appearances. It's just a bummer that he's out of options. I hope they don't DFA him, but I'm also not sure he'll end up being the best option for that last spot in the 'pen. Obviously that could change really quickly. 

So... yeah, I wasn't saying he should be DFA'd because of any recent game. 

I would have Bautista higher. I am still not sold on Lopez.

1. Bautista CL

2-4. Tate, Lopez, Perez 

5-6. Akin/Krehbiel

7. Baker

8. Vespi/Baumann/Kremer/Diplan/taxi guys

I would not hesitate to mix and match depending on the situation. I'd like to give Baker a bit of a longer leash. He's got a solid resume. Interestingly he has options remaining.

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think my OP states that I want him DFA'd, unless you're talking about someone else. In fact I called him enticing and noted his good appearances. It's just a bummer that he's out of options. I hope they don't DFA him, but I'm also not sure he'll end up being the best option for that last spot in the 'pen. Obviously that could change really quickly. 

So... yeah, I wasn't saying he should be DFA'd because of any recent game. 

According to Fangraphs Roster Resource, Baker has options. Is that wrong? 

• Thanks 1