Zach Peek 2022

Frobby

Zach Peek is slated to pitch for Bowie tonight for the first time since April 30.   He’d been pretty solid in his first four starts: 17 IP, 3.71 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 7.9 K/9, 3.0 K/BB.   I’m not sure why he was out, but I’m glad he’s back tonight.  Bowie’s finally getting its rotation pieces back, slowly but surely.  

• Like 1

Peek allowed three runs in 1.2 innings tonight.  Tyler Burch didn’t do him any favors.   Peek was removed with 2 outs in the second, bases loaded in a scoreless game, and Burch coughed up a grand slam to the first batter he saw, resulting in three runs getting charged to Peek.   Still, Peek showed a lot of rust, allowing 5 baserunners in his 1.2 innings.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting scenario surrounding the home run he gave up. 

He had given up a double to start the 4th which should have been a fly out to left; Daschbach was running hard in the rain toward the fence just below me, and glanced at it for one second to see how close he was, and when he looked back up had lost the ball and it landed against the base of the wall to his right.  He then fielded it cleanly to keep the runner at 2B, but again, it should've been caught IMO. 

The intermittent hard rain had caused things to get muddy, including the landing spot on the mound.  I was wondering if this would impact Peek's inning.  But then he struck out the next batter. 

On the first pitch to batter #3, he brought his leg up, then quickly turned to catch the runner between 2B and 3B.  

This now erased the "error" lead runner.  However, I was still concerned that he was going to get injured landing on that mound.  When the coach came out to visit him, I didn't know if they were talking about this, and taking him out for precautionary reasons, or what.  When the coach left, it seemed instead they had been talking about how to pitch to this next batter. 

Which obviously wasn't good advice, as batter #3 was Wilson Garcia, who promptly hit the ball out onto the walkway in center field. 

The next batter reached on a throwing error, followed by a walk on 4 pitches, before ending the threat with his 6th strikeout (swinging at a fastball low and away). 

This rather action-filled inning was Peek's last of the night, and it absolutely felt like the right move.  Especially considering the continuing rain bands that eventually got me to finally leave in the 8th. 

• Upvote 2

Was his first time going 5 IP since moving to Bowie. Fastball was 91-93 but effective in the zone and up high. Used his curveball a lot to get swings-and-misses. Still having trouble locating the slider or getting anyone to chase on it. Had a changeup that was effective as well but not thrown a lot until the last couple innings pitched.

After 3 IP had faced the minimum with one hit later erased by a DP.  Retired 11 in a row  

Here’s an odd angle warming up. 

Another fine outing for Peek tonight, 6 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 4 K’s.   His ERA is down to 2.68, 1.05 WHIP.   His K rate is down this year (7.6 K/9), but he’s getting results.   I’m thinking he’s a few weeks away from a promotion to Norfolk if he keeps pitching well.  

After a great June (1.08 ERA in 25 IP), Peek was atrocious yesterday, allowing 6 runs (5 earned) in 1.2 innings on 5 hits and 3 walks.   He only threw 27 of 53 pitches for strikes.   Hopefully, just a big hiccup, but it certainly slows any talk of a promotion.  

Good thing that babying these pitchers has prevented injuries! (copied and pasted from the Baumler thread)

There's actually mounting evidence with our minor league SP's this season to make a compelling argument that slowly ramping up pitchers may actually contribute to an injury, instead of helping to prevent an injury.

Or, the more likely correct conclusion/observation: slowly ramping up does nothing to prevent injuries. Injuries to pitchers are going to happen no matter what.

Elias is a smart guy. Hope he's noticed this.