“The Sun” sign at OPACY to be taken down?

Sports Guy

I can recall a similar feature at the Polo Grounds in New York when the Mets played there.  There was an advertisement for Rheingold beer beyond center field, and the "H" or "E" in "Rheingold" would flash to indicate the scorer's decision.

Anyone remember any other parks where such a custom was observed?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WillyM said:

I can recall a similar feature at the Polo Grounds in New York when the Mets played there.  There was an advertisement for Rheingold beer beyond center field, and the "H" or "E" in "Rheingold" would flash to indicate the scorer's decision.

Anyone remember any other parks where such a custom was observed?

Ebbets Field had a beer sign that had that H or E feature. 

DM8PuNSV4AELF88?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/timhoiland/status/922973738097881088?s=20&t=JAYFXQ8kj8I4v5yUoCIvuw

11 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I’m at the game tonight.  They still flash H or E for hit or error.  

Interesting, I haven't seen them flash H or E in years. Then again I haven't been to a night game in Baltimore in years. I only attend day games and maybe the sun light washes it out. 

37 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Interesting, I haven't seen them flash H or E in years. Then again I haven't been to a night game in Baltimore in years. I only attend day games and maybe the sun light washes it out. 

I wouldn’t have looked if it weren’t for this thread.  I pointed it out to my wife and son and the people in front of us and behind had never seen it before.  I think it’s been a pretty cool tradition since the park opened. I remember my dad pointing it out to me as a 12 y/o in ‘92.

I'm in favor of moving the scoreboard there.  It would also be awesome to have a giant wall with a painting of the Bromo Tower.  Heck since the O's have $600 million to play with, just move the Bromo tower in front of the Hilton.  It would be like a giant middle finger to the Hilton.