Anybody worth watching in the College World Series?

On 6/10/2022 at 3:06 PM, tntoriole said:

I am at the Va Tech Hokies Oklahoma superregional!!! Goooo Hokies!! 

How is Gavin Cross looking?    I just saw the score today as Hokies put up 14 runs to get to the Super Regionals decider tomorrow.

Gavin Cross in the Kjerstad-Cowser footprint could be the granddaddy of all mixed feelings for some around here.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

How is Gavin Cross looking?    I just saw the score today as Hokies put up 14 runs to get to the Super Regionals decider tomorrow.

Gavin Cross in the Kjerstad-Cowser footprint could be the granddaddy of all mixed feelings for some around here.

I think I saw he had a 3B and a HR today.

Haha. It's a wild idea.  It would cause an outcry.  Gavin Cross is projected right around #10 in the draft.  There are a lot of parallels to Heston Kjerstad with maybe a better defensive profile.  If you look at Parada, Brooks Lee, Berry, and Cross as the top college hitters, Cross and Berry were easily the 2 best performers on the 2021 National Collegiate Team USA team.  Slight edge to Cross over Berry as the best.  His name hasn't come up at all in 1:1 conversation.  Another LH outfielder?  Would Elias consider it?  Haha

• Haha 1

Deciding game in Blacksburg starting now.   On the preview it had the fact that Oklahoma's "closer" (2 inning Save Friday night) pitched SIX innings in the deciding game last week as Oklahoma advanced past Florida.

Va Tech the home field advantage and #4 national ranking going for first CWS in school history.

On Gavin Cross, I noticed in the box that MOST of the Hokies lineup has hit as well as him OPS-wise this year.    His .417 OBP third WORST in the lineup today.

https://www.espn.com/college-baseball/boxscore/_/gameId/401445821

• Upvote 1

Good points but it’s always more than the basic stats.  I believe I read that Cross has very good exit velocities, performed very in comparison to his peers on team college USA.   Hey, Jud Fabian hit .:239 this year.

Gavin Cross 2.13.2001 a flyout to right his first time up.    It was new to me he is a Sophomore.

His Baseball Cube page indicates 3rd season with Hokies, but not tagged "Freshman" until Season 2.   Here is where someone more fluent in NCAA will have to fill in what his Age-19 2020 was then.

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/player/225287/

Despite most of the lineup having similar OPS's, his 8 triples and BB/SO ratio stand out from most of his teammates.

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/stats/college~2022~20293/

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 5:29 PM, Just Regular said:

Gavin had an excellent season, as I said I don’t know if he has the range to stay as MLB CF , but his bat will definitely play. 

The biggest compliment I can give him is how quiet he is at the plate.  Balanced, no extra movement and then explodes at the pitch 

Peyton Graham SS/3B and Cade Horton RHP are two Oklahoma guys I like a lot. I’ve seen them several games both over the past few weeks, and both have really stood out.

Graham is tall and slender, but has surprising speed and power to all fields. The projection seems to be that he can stay at SS, maybe, depends on what weight he can put on. Has one of the better arms in the infield class this draft. Might not make it to round 2, but I would like to grab him at 2-1 for the Orioles if there. 

Horton rose up toward the end of the season and has been terrific on the mound in big games. A two-way talent, a lot of buzz about him out of HS in 2020 as a SS/RHP. Draft projections are hard to figure because he has really come on the past few months. He had TJ surgery in February 2021. He was also a big time prep QB. He is listed at 6-01 210, has a quick arm and has had the velo up to 96. He has been playing 3B some for the Sooners, but seems to be a better pitcher at the moment. Turns 21 in August. He will be a potential over slot candidate as an eligible RS Freshman. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2022 at 1:33 PM, Jammer7 said:

Peyton Graham SS/3B and Cade Horton RHP are two Oklahoma guys I like a lot. I’ve seen them several games both over the past few weeks, and both have really stood out.

Graham is tall and slender, but has surprising speed and power to all fields. The projection seems to be that he can stay at SS, maybe, depends on what weight he can put on. Has one of the better arms in the infield class this draft. Might not make it to round 2, but I would like to grab him at 2-1 for the Orioles if there. 

Horton rose up toward the end of the season and has been terrific on the mound in big games. A two-way talent, a lot of buzz about him out of HS in 2020 as a SS/RHP. Draft projections are hard to figure because he has really come on the past few months. He had TJ surgery in February 2021. He was also a big time prep QB. He is listed at 6-01 210, has a quick arm and has had the velo up to 96. He has been playing 3B some for the Sooners, but seems to be a better pitcher at the moment. Turns 21 in August. He will be a potential over slot candidate as an eligible RS Freshman. 

I would love to see us take Cade Horton.. he is already recovered from TJ surgery, was hitting 97 in his great start against Notre Dame.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I would love to see us take Cade Horton.. he is already recovered from TJ surgery, was hitting 97 in his great start against Notre Dame.. 

I watched it too. The slider is plus, and the velo up around 95-97. Solid command.  Very good athlete, and quite a poised competitor. He’s going to rise up draft boards. Not sure we’ll see him get out of the first round at this point. Both Graham and Horton could be gone by pick 33, unfortunately.