I hate interleague play.

Moose Milligan

Didn't get a chance to watch much of the games over this weekend due to life events so I missed the awesome MASN commercials on who our next opponents are while informing me how "the game is still the game" with the baseball right in front of the umpire's crotch and the stupid kid bouncing up and down on the bed.  

I figured they weren't playing today but I was dismayed to see that we've got two random-ass games against the Cubs tomorrow and Wednesday and then two more against the Cubs in July.

I don't know what in the chicken fried f*** MLB is thinking anymore, but interleague play is terrible.  Awful.  It was fun and interesting in the late 90s but the novelty has worn off years ago.  I've got no interest watching my team play the Cubs, and quite frankly I'd rather see us play the Yankees or Sox.  Sure, we'd probably lose but at least we'd get to see how we're stacking up against teams in our division which is the most important thing, IMO.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Porky said:

I have never understood the hate on interleague play. Even more so now with the universal DH. They're all baseball teams. Baseball teams playing baseball teams. Baseball will be played. The games count. Every other sports league does it. The pitchers will throw the ball and the batters will try to hit it. Baseball.

Yea, I agree. Who cares if its the Cubs or the Twins right now. The rules are the same. Just win. 

We already play the Yanks and Sox 21 games a piece. 

Interleague play is good for fans that don't live in the area but near an NL team, the Orioles will come out and you will get a chance to watch live.   I did this in when I lived in the Bay Area.  Of course out there you also have the Athletics in the AL, but it did give me an excuse to visit Oracle Park which is very nice stadium.

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn't get a chance to watch much of the games over this weekend due to life events so I missed the awesome MASN commercials on who our next opponents are while informing me how "the game is still the game" with the baseball right in front of the umpire's crotch and the stupid kid bouncing up and down on the bed.  

I figured they weren't playing today but I was dismayed to see that we've got two random-ass games against the Cubs tomorrow and Wednesday and then two more against the Cubs in July.

I don't know what in the chicken fried f*** MLB is thinking anymore, but interleague play is terrible.  Awful.  It was fun and interesting in the late 90s but the novelty has worn off years ago.  I've got no interest watching my team play the Cubs, and quite frankly I'd rather see us play the Yankees or Sox.  Sure, we'd probably lose but at least we'd get to see how we're stacking up against teams in our division which is the most important thing, IMO.  

Well it’s going to increase next year.  Playing every team from now on every season. 

I’m not saying this to be critical of you but you will never please everyone. I remember in the 80’s people complaining that in the AL with 14 teams you played the other division more often. It was 13 games in division and 12 in other. So 78 in your division and 84 vs other. In NL with 12 teams you played 18 division games and 12 against other. 

I don’t mind it but the thing they didn’t do a great job of for years was making sure every team came to a city in X number of years. Only good thing about next year is at least every team will be in a city every 2 years. It will increase travel some though. 

One slight concern is rainouts. They already deal with that now with the other divisions only making one trip. Now more teams will. 

Next season they are moving to a more balanced schedule to include more interleague, and less in-division games. A welcome change. What's silly to me is having the Nats 37 miles away and then playing them only 4 times a season. The Phillies are 99 miles away and they don't play them most years. That makes no sense, especially considering the DH is in both leagues now. 

C'mon.  Anyone who's saying that more interleague, less in-division games is simply saying they're tired of going up against the Sox, Yankees, Rays and Jays.  I sincerely doubt anyone would be clamoring for less in-division games if we were in the AL Central or AL West.   

It’s dumb..but it’s better with the universal DH and next year when you play everyone and the schedule is balanced, it becomes better.

It had to go one way or another..either go all in or all out.  They chose all in and that’s better than the dip your toes in, pitcher hits in the NL parks BS we have had been subjected to for a while now.

• Upvote 1

Maybe a decent barstool debate as baseball nears the second quarter of the century...which is more temporary as distinct things in MLB?    Starting pitchers and relief pitchers, or the American League and the National League.

The DH was a finger in the dike for half a century, but with that gone it feels in the same spirit this CBA brings more interleague games, including playing the entire other league in one season.    Every market in the league needs their chance to see Michael Jordan.

Near term, the current playoff structure makes the AL-NL more real.    I think I'm going to see Shohei Ohtani and Fernando Tatis choosing up for exhibition games though.