Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

10 hours ago, fansince71 said:

We should totally be worried that someone will lure Elias away with big money this off season.  He could very well be tempted with all the upcoming drama heading his way.

That was my very first thought when news of this broke out earlier this year. At that point of the season we had no idea the Orioles would be above .500 in September and now they are. 

My thought was if Elias had the Orioles jump to being an 85+ win team in 2023 it would make him a hot commodity. We might see it this year and I don't see how this doesn't make a possible candidate to get poached by another organization.

My hope is the Orioles get sold quick or John Angelos retains primary control of the organization. If the Orioles become dysfunctional because of the Angelo family infighting Elias might start getting ideas to leave for greener pastures. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That was my very first thought when news of this broke out earlier this year. At that point of the season we had no idea the Orioles would be above .500 in September and now they are. 

My thought was if Elias had the Orioles jump to being an 85+ win team in 2023 it would make him a hot commodity. We might see it this year and I don't see how this doesn't make a possible candidate to get poached by another organization.

My hope is the Orioles get sold quick or John Angelos retains primary control of the organization. If the Orioles become dysfunctional because of the Angelo family infighting Elias might start getting ideas to leave for greener pastures. 

He’s under contract. How’s he gonna get poached while under contract?

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Simple, they ask for permission to talk from the ballclub. Basically what happened to DD when he was approached by Mike Rogers of Rogers Communication, the BJ's parent Corp. The unwritten rule had been if the caller was offering a "promotion" position they would allow it.

It's all just sad.  Every time things start going well, it's tempered - or even deflated - by this family.  I appreciate what John has done and would hate to see Elias be a casualty of the on-going drama of the Angelos family; but there always seems to be an undercurrent or riptide flowing thru the organization because of this ownership group.  I remember being so happy that there was local ownership when the team was purchased.  But almost from the beginning, they've managed to be little less than shameful in the handling of the club.  I can't imagine either brother giving in, which means trouble on the horizon.  Sad after such a fun year of baseball.

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2022 at 1:27 AM, baloriole4 said:

John actually took the bar exam 3 times.  John failed the bar exam 3 times

Louis, is that you??  The way you stated this makes it seem like you have an axe to grind with John.  I don’t care if John failed the bar exam 3 times or not.  He’s clearly running the organization the right way now by letting Elias run the baseball operations as he sees fit, which is the polar opposite of how Peter ran it.  The Orioles were in the prehistoric age with how things were run prior to John taking over, and he understood that the org needed to be modernized and set out to make those changes accordingly by hiring Elias from arguably the most cutting edge, innovate organization there is.  Hell, John even recognized that Camden Yards could be monetized in ways other than baseball, which is why we finally had concerts taking place at the stadium starting in 2019 after years of Peter neglecting this revenue stream for no good reason.  Peter had the org tie one arm behind its back for years by neglecting the international market, which John recognized was putting us at a major disadvantage and he clearly set out to change that.  Same goes for analytics.

The point is, John doesn’t need to have passed the bar to have the intelligence and common sense to recognize these shortcomings, and if Louis were the one named as Chairman & CEO by his mother instead of John (and this is Georgia’s decision to make as power of attorney/trustee), I have no doubt that he would have continued running things the same way as Peter based on all the info that has now been made public by the lawsuits.  When a mother decides to take one child’s side over another, that’s a pretty telling decision, and it’s typically because she recognizes that there’s an issue with the other child and she recognized the need for change.  It’s also very telling that Elias would only take the O’s GM job under the condition that he would report to John only.  He probably realized during the interview process that John was the one that understood major change was needed throughout the baseball operation, while Louis was the one that appeared to be fighting it, based on no reason other than “this is how Dad would want things to be because they’ve always been this way.”

This isn’t to say that John Angelos can do no wrong, as I’m sure he has his quirks and philosophies just like anyone in a position of power.  But it’s pretty clear to me that based on all the info that’s out there now, John “gets it” and Louis doesn’t, and that’s why I’m Team John (and Georgia) all the way on this matter.  Passing the bar exam or not is irrelevant to me when it comes to who is the best person to be leading this organization (Peter passed the bar too and look how poorly he ran the Orioles for almost 30 years), so if that’s the argument you are trying to make to show why Lou should be running the show instead of John, I think you are very misguided. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

In most of the rest of the sports world if you are interested in a player/manager/coach and he's under contract to someone else you go talk to that person and their current employer and try to work out a deal.

Chelsea recently sacked their manager Thomas Teuchel.  They wanted Brighton's manager, Graham Potter, to replace him.  Chelsea's owners went to Brighton's and to Potter, and worked out a deal where they'd pay Brighton £21.5m for Potter and five of his coaches.  In mid-week between matches this happened.

Baseball, and maybe other North American sports are kind of weird where we have this concept of tampering when another club is interested in buying your guy.  And I think that only applies to players here.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In most of the rest of the sports world if you are interested in a player/manager/coach and he's under contract to someone else you go talk to that person and their current employer and try to work out a deal.

Chelsea recently sacked their manager Thomas Teuchel.  They wanted Brighton's manager, Graham Potter, to replace him.  Chelsea's owners went to Brighton's and to Potter, and worked out a deal where they'd pay Brighton £21.5m for Potter and five of his coaches.  In mid-week between matches this happened.

Baseball, and maybe other North American sports are kind of weird where we have this concept of tampering when another club is interested in buying your guy.  And I think that only applies to players here.

I have a more rigid view on contracts than most, so that mostly formulates my view on this situation. My hope is that John takes a more practical view of the situation and tries to do whatever would keep Elias here long term. Instead of being like Peter, and just saying “Dan is under contract.”

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

How do we know if he’s under contract, or what the terms are?   It’s never been reported.  His contract could be up.  He could have opt-outs.  We really don’t have any idea.  

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

More family fueding or feuding 

The legal battle that already made public the private dynamics of the family of Peter Angelos has shifted into terrain they also likely would want to keep secret: their finances.

Lawyers for the wife and elder son of Angelos, the Orioles owner and legal titan incapacitated by illness, have asked a judge to limit the amount of financial information that bankers must reveal about the team, his law firm and other assets

Just now, Going Underground said:

More family fueding or feuding 

The legal battle that already made public the private dynamics of the family of Peter Angelos has shifted into terrain they also likely would want to keep secret: their finances.

Lawyers for the wife and elder son of Angelos, the Orioles owner and legal titan incapacitated by illness, have asked a judge to limit the amount of financial information that bankers must reveal about the team, his law firm and other assets

LOL, of course that’s what they want.

• Like 1

Also among the latest filings in the case, an attorney for younger son Louis Angelos raised Tuesday the specter of the law firm’s bank freezing its assets “in the next few days” due the unresolved dispute, which could force it to stop operating.

As part of Louis Angelos’ suit against his mother, Georgia, and his brother, John, over control of the family’s assets, he has subpoenaed extensive information. Among the materials he seeks are documents related to a possible sale of part or all of the family’s interest in the team and communications with Major League Baseball officials, such as Commissioner Rob Manfred. John Angelos is the Orioles chairman and CEO.