Luis Valdez — Zoom!

Frobby

• 4 weeks later...

The Frobby jinx is alive and well. After posting about Valdez' prowess on the base paths he was caught on 5 of his next 9 attempts.  Back on track in July with 7 successes in 8 tries.  Better yet, Valdez hit .333 in June and is currently hitting .292 in July and has his overall average up to .268.  Along with Bencosme, probably on the short list to make the jump to Aberdeen next year.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Valdez stole his 50th base of the year tonight, in Delmarva’s 92nd game.  On pace for maybe 75 SB by season’s end.  The Delmarva record is 60, and I believe the MiL organizational record is 81, by Tim Raines Jr. in 1999. 

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Someone told me he's the fastest guy in the system. Unfortunately doesn't really have a position and has 20 power.

What is the definition of 20 power?    He does have 2 homer runs and I know at least one of those went over the wall.   He actually has one from each side of the plate.  I remember seeing the one home run from the left side and it was well struck.   I'm not arguing that he's 10 or 15 home guy but 20 is like ZERO, NOTHING power.    His worst month of the year was in May when he actually showed his best plate discipline and both his homeruns.   Perhaps it's a 20 approach as opposed to no power at all?

He's done much better the last 2 months with what looks like a more slappy approach and no power.

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Someone told me he's the fastest guy in the system. Unfortunately doesn't really have a position and has 20 power.

I don’t look at him as a prospect.  I look at him who is fun to follow and would be fun to see play down in Delmarva.  

• 9 months later...
16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Luis Valdez is up to his old tricks, stealing his 12th base today in his 23rd game.  Not bad for a guy who was hitting .159 with a .224 OBP.   Imagine how many bases he’d steal if he were actually on base.  

When Billy Hamilton first came up with the Reds, they used him effectively as a pinch runner.  I think that was pre-Universal DH though.

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

3!!! OF assists today. Can't remember the last time I saw that.

It's too bad this guy can't hit, he seems like he'd be a fun player to watch. 43/48 SB this year.

Did you notice that Elio Prado had 3 as well.   I don’t recall seeing one OF with 3, let alone two different outfielders, especially with one team, each have 3.