Who are the agents for the top 2022 draftees?

57 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't believe that Elias doesn't know who he will pick #1 until the day of the draft.  I do agree he's not telling anyone.  It sounds likely that everyone on the O's draft board for at least the first few rounds has been scouted and analyzed from multiple viewpoints.  It doesn't sound like there are any prospects who are a scouts' guy who basically make a one man choice that I believe happened under previous Orioles regimes.

He knows. Of course he does.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I bet that Elias has 100 draft scenarios mapped out.  Probably have a spreadsheet that spits out who the next pick if say one of their underslot picks is taken. 

I posted a mock where they just called the Orioles draft philosphy “weird” LOL. Nice way of putting it:) 

https://youtu.be/0vRiION-sQE

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's got a shorter list than he's admitting to.

Could be.   I don’t spend a lot of energy guessing what he’s thinking or what the O’s will do.   Two weeks from tonight, we’ll know.   Until then people are just going to rehash the same points and arguments over and over.   

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Could be.   I don’t spend a lot of energy guessing what he’s thinking or what the O’s will do.   Two weeks from tonight, we’ll know.   Until then people are just going to rehash the same points and arguments over and over.   

But you will likely twist yourself into a pretzel to defend any reach or mistake by the org as too soon to judge:)

7 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

But you will likely twist yourself into a pretzel to defend any reach or mistake by the org as too soon to judge:)

Oh yeah?  I gave their draft a D on draft day last year.   I like it a bit better now.

The difference between you and me is you are very confident in your opinions about the draft candidates.   I don’t really have strong opinions.   I don’t watch film on these guys, and I wouldn’t know what to look for if I did.   I’m a lawyer, not a baseball scout   

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Oh yeah?  I gave their draft a D on draft day last year.   I like it a bit better now.

The difference between you and me is you are very confident in your opinions about the draft candidates.   I don’t really have strong opinions.   I don’t watch film on these guys, and I wouldn’t know what to look for if I did.   I’m a lawyer, not a baseball scout   

Waiting so late to draft pitchers was head scratching indeed. Holiday & Lee make sense to me. I think it’s one of those two if not Jones, hopefully. Cross is another name that keeps popping up, ugh. 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Berry was linked to Os earlier on, then it was Collier then Johnson. 

I like the healthy debate of ideas approach but most of the board is likely more supportive of a dictator approach I bet:)  Not sure I buy that is his approach honestly.

Where are you getting this info from specifically? Do you have personal knowledge? Please explain how you know his intimate approach in selecting a candidate? 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, Frobby said:

Of course I don’t have any insider knowledge.   My supposition is based on (1) things I read in Astroball describing the draft process when Elias was with the Astros, and (2) various things Elias has said publicly.  There’s no guarantee that the O’s draft process works exactly like the Astros, and there’s no guarantee that everything Elias has said publicly is accurate.  

“I think we’re going to roll that all the way into the meetings,” Elias said, “just so we’re prepared for anything and prepared for the debates.”  
https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-explains-timing-of-latest-prospect-promotions

“Our scouting process, particularly in the draft — Brad Ciolek runs it — does a really good job of involving the player development coaches in evaluations of the players prior to the draft. I think that helps give them a sense of ownership of the guy when we do take him. They know what the pros and cons are with the player going in. It’s nice for everyone involved to be incorporated in the front end of the selection process.”

Elias: “I think we concentrate on perfecting the quality of the information that we put into our draft preparation as best as possible, and then weight that the smartest way we can. That’s really our philosophy. And it’s an ongoing tailoring process all the time. Obviously, those components can change quite a bit.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conversation-with-orioles-general-manager-mike-elias/

Mike Elias said that the organization has narrowed its focus to “five, maybe six” names for the first overall pick in the MLB Draft on July 17.

Elias offered a laugh in elaborating that he will not publicly show his hand. But he and the Orioles’ brain trust will “carry that group all the way into the Draft meetings,” fully absorbing all information from the Combine and “a lot of information that comes in late.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-elias-orioles-narrowing-top-pick-to-five-six-players

Also, have a look at this short interview from the combine.  Elias says there that the decision usually comes down to the day of the draft and that they have a system for weighting analytical data with scouting opinions “so that it’s not just me listening to the loudest voice in the room.”

https://m.facebook.com/MLBNetwork/videos/mike-elias-at-mlb-draft-combine/407909297890306/

There’s been other things he’s said, but these are pretty representative.   

On 7/3/2022 at 9:38 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

On 7/3/2022 at 9:51 PM, Frobby said:

On 7/3/2022 at 9:51 PM, Frobby said:

NelsonCruuuuuz...how about you just take the L, rep the man's posts and pick a fight with a poster who's less capable of destroying your snark?