Do the Orioles need to 'develop' a FIRST BASEMAN in the minors?

CHIP

Barring injury, there's no reason Mountcastle shouldn't play 150 games at 1B in any given season. I know that's unlikely, but still, dude's 25. He was drafted as a shortstop, so I have to believe he will continue to improve defensively. Worrying about a backup first baseman doesn't seem worth the time. 

1 hour ago, celery said:

Doesn't Mayo have the best arm in the system? I think they'll try him in right field before they waste his arm at first

I think we have a lot of options. We also have Kjerstad, Cowser, and Stowers (among others) in addition to Mullins and Hays. 1B would not be my first option for Mayo but it's an option. Even if he comes up to play 1B that wouldn't preclude him from moving back to 3B at some point. 

2 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

Barring injury, there's no reason Mountcastle shouldn't play 150 games at 1B in any given season. I know that's unlikely, but still, dude's 25. He was drafted as a shortstop, so I have to believe he will continue to improve defensively. Worrying about a backup first baseman doesn't seem worth the time. 

Just like everyone else, Mounty has to continue to hit.  At some point the depth will force tough decisions at the cream rises.  No issues on the horizon for Ryan yet though.

I can see Kjerstad or Mayo at 1B if they have health concerns.  No reason to move them now but good options to keep in the back pocket.  Mayo does have a gun, so I can see them giving him a shot at in LF if he can’t stick at 3B.  He’s young but I have my concerns with his defense.  Time will tell…

1st base can be a fall back position for good players vs trying to find one. Even a lot of outfielders can be converted if needed, but almost all 3B, SS, and 2B can play there if needed. Even catchers can player there. Speaking of that, Rutschman played a decent amount of 1B his first minor league season and was pretty good.