Trey's Inside-The-Park-HR

OrangeOctoberRebuild

I love Trey and I love his Inside-The-Park-HR. But tell me, why do players, like Trey in this instance, nonchalantly trot off to first base when they hit a ball that looks like it will most likely be caught? There is always the chance - maybe one in two hundred - that the fielder will not catch it. Trey barely made it to home safely; had he run hard from the beginning he could have made it easily. These players make millions; how many more millions do they need to incentivize them to always run hard? Or am I missing something here?

Pay attention, OH fam.  This is one of those threads that no matter what you explain, the OP isn't interested in changing his mind or educating himself.

That said, Trey didn't run hard because...well, exactly that.  I'd say the odds of what happened yesterday are more like one out of a thousand.  Quite frankly, I can't remember the last time I saw an outfield completely brick a routine flyball like that and I've never seen one go off their face.  Usually it's a miscommunication or, hopefully, a collision (where no one gets hurt, just embarrassed).

Anyway, these guys are pros.  You expect them to catch a ball like that, a thousand times out of a thousand.  If this were Little League, I'd argue differently.  No one busts it up the line 100% of the time, even Cal.  Maybe Pete Rose, if we're to believe the legend.

• Upvote 1

First off you are missing a couple of decimal places, a misplay like that is more like one in twenty thousand. 

Secondly you are missing the pulled hamstrings and other injuries that don't happen become people aren't putting on a Pete Rose show.

Tell the truth, how pleased would you be with maximum effort if Adley tears his hamstring gunning it down to first on a routine fly ball?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pay attention, OH fam.  This is one of those threads that no matter what you explain, the OP isn't interested in changing his mind or educating himself.

That said, Trey didn't run hard because...well, exactly that.  I'd say the odds of what happened yesterday are more like one out of a thousand.  Quite frankly, I can't remember the last time I saw an outfield completely brick a routine flyball like that and I've never seen one go off their face.  Usually it's a miscommunication or, hopefully, a collision (where no one gets hurt, just embarrassed).

Anyway, these guys are pros.  You expect them to catch a ball like that, a thousand times out of a thousand.  If this were Little League, I'd argue differently.  No one busts it up the line 100% of the time, even Cal.  Maybe Pete Rose, if we're to believe the legend.

And yes I know this thread belongs in the rant section.

There's a difference between running hard and running 100%.  Players should run hard on even routine plays but it's just human nature/frustration on a play like that.  The odds are long. Hey I just saw a pitcher get a comebacker and underhand the throw over the first baseman's head.  They should run hard on every play but I suspect if we were in the same situation we'd do the same thing Trey did.

Losing a fly ball in the sun isn't unusual.  99.9% of the time it results in a single or double.  It never bounces off a players face, ricochet's past another outfielder, and presents even an opportunity at an inside the park homerun.  That is what is extremely rare.

Edited by NCRaven
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Losing a fly ball in the sun isn't unusual.  99.9% of the time it results in a single or double.  It never bounces off a players face, ricochet's past another outfielder, and presents even an opportunity at an inside the park homerun.  That is what is extremely rare.

My Name is DJ Stewart and I agree with this message.👆

• Upvote 1

BTW, it was probably mentioned elsewhere, but the best part of that highlight is Hays waving him home.

Also, I feel bad for Josh Lowe there.  That's a terrifying few seconds there where you lose a ball in the sun that badly.  The rest of us can at least bail out and protect ourselves.  He's gotta stand there and hope he doesn't get cracked in the face.

• Upvote 1

By the way, I timed Trey’s trip around the bases at 17.3.   That’s definitely extremely slow for an inside the park homer.   I tried to find what was the slowest known inside-the-parker, but didn’t have any luck.  

• Upvote 1