A lot of Elias notes/quotes

interloper

“Hope you make the wildcard .. here is Brett Phillips!! Get after it!!” Lol 

Guess Brett doesn’t qualify as a “major league player” lol 

Seriously though I do like almost all the moves, and hope they do add contributing players during the offseason and I agree 2023 can be a liftoff season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Things you love to see from the GM:

1. Flying down to personally meet with the core of the team and reassure them
  2. Calling DL Hall to personally tell him they're counting on him. I'm sure that was a much-needed boost for him.
  3. Not just shutting down Grayson for the season.
  4. Outright telling us he wants to sign people this winter.
  5. Outright telling us they tried to add MLers at the deadline but just couldn't get it done. 

Whether you buy this stuff will be your opinion, but for me I really like to see this kind of stuff. I like the personal outreach to players and I like the transparency to fans. 

I do like it .. We will like it more if he actually does that in the offseason.  
I am a big Elias supporter although again .. still scratching head a little bit about some moves but overall A grade 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I do like it .. We will like it more if he actually does that in the offseason.  
I am a big Elias supporter although again .. still scratching head a little bit about some moves but overall A grade 

Yeah, I haven't agreed with his method of rolling out the prospects this season to say the least. But overall, I'm still an Elias guy. 

He's certainly opening himself up to criticism by declaring that they will be signing guys this offseason. Of course, those guys could be the Rougned Odors of the world. But hopefully he's confident about landing some real upgrades. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Things you love to see from the GM:

1. Flying down to personally meet with the core of the team and reassure them
  2. Calling DL Hall to personally tell him they're counting on him. I'm sure that was a much-needed boost for him.
  3. Not just shutting down Grayson for the season.
  4. Outright telling us he wants to sign people this winter.
  5. Outright telling us they tried to add MLers at the deadline but just couldn't get it done. 

Whether you buy this stuff will be your opinion, but for me I really like to see this kind of stuff. I like the personal outreach to players and I like the transparency to fans. 

I haven't been crazy about their approach to playing prospects this season, but it doesn't mean I think they're screwing anything up (other than Brett Phillips lol). 

These series of tweets really boosted my mood about things, I have to say. 

Let's just hope we don't see this #4 and #5 combo next spring.

"We wanted to sign people this winter but just couldn't get it done."

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Let's just hope we don't see this #4 and #5 combo next spring.

"We wanted to sign people this winter but just couldn't get it done."

Agreed. Would be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind because it's certainly a real possibility. Sometimes you don't succeed in signing a guy. 

I don’t like a lot of his moves lately, but I do think Elias will eventually have a good team put together. I’m sure the players appreciated the visit but probably rolled their eyes the minute he left the room. He traded their team leader and all star closer for guys that might be helpful after most the guys in the locker room will be gone. But either way, I like that he went down there personally to help alleviate any notion that he doesn’t  expect them to be competitive. 

Not sure what the point of calling DL Hall was except to publicly let everyone know that he personally called Hall to tell him please stop being terrible. But you know, it’s better than nothing lol

The “signing someone” comments will be sure to make some pretty wild threads here this winter. I’d love to hear him expand on that thought because I have a hard time believing that means the O’s will be active with any top free agents. 

Edited by oriole

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

Not sure what the point of calling DL Hall was except to publicly let everyone know that he personally called Hall to tell him please stop being terrible. But you know, it’s been than nothing lol

The way I see it is it's Elias' way of acknowledging to anxious fans that he hasn't forgotten about DL Hall, and maybe a way to create some positivity out of his recent struggles. If I were Hall, I'd like to hear this from my GM. Just being a fan it has given me a boost to hear it, so maybe it will do Hall some good. As for making that public, again, I think that's purely so the fans know Hall is squarely in their plans still. 

Edited by interloper