Orioles release 2 pitchers

Legend_Of_Joey

Players we might have held onto longer in hopes of a turnaround will start being released sooner as the general quality of our minor league system improves.

The Orioles now have "first world" problems.

Which will come complete with other teams brushing the dirt off of Oriole dumpster cheese.... and occasionally finding a gem.

The price of success.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, owknows said:

Players we might have held onto longer in hopes of a turnaround will start being released sooner as the general quality of our minor league system improves.

The Orioles now have "first world" problems.

Which will come complete with other teams brushing the dirt off of Oriole dumpster cheese.... and occasionally finding a gem.

The price of success.

That's been going on this whole time.

That's just how baseball works.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's been going on this whole time.

That's just how baseball works.

Ya don't say?

I should think it somewhat obvious though, that as the general quality of players increases in a given farm system, the decisions will become more difficult, resulting ultimately in players of greater value being released relative to the rest of the league.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

Ya don't say?

I should think it somewhat obvious though, that as the general quality of players increases in a given farm system, the decisions will become more difficult, resulting ultimately in players of greater value being released relative to the rest of the league.

Lots of things that seem obvious in baseball don't turn out to be.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lots of things that seem obvious in baseball don't turn out to be.

Yeah... I suppose bad management could also give away good players in lean years, just as readily as good management can make sure they scrap only bad players in bountiful years.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Yeah... I suppose bad management could also give away good players in lean years, just as readily as good management can make sure they scrap only bad players in bountiful years.

Guys like Mike Yastrzemski just happen in baseball, it's part of what makes it great.

I wouldn't use it as an example to condemn Elias.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guys like Mike Yastrzemski just happen in baseball, it's part of what makes it great.

I wouldn't use it as an example to condemn Elias.

I don't condemn Elias for it.

And I don't think it's uncommon.

My point was that it will likely be more common as the overall quality of players in the system increases, and the bottom of the barrel isn't as bad as it used to be.

It's a pretty simple point really.

12 minutes ago, owknows said:

I don't condemn Elias for it.

And I don't think it's uncommon.

My point was that it will likely be more common as the overall quality of players in the system increases, and the bottom of the barrel isn't as bad as it used to be.

It's a pretty simple point really.

Yea, it's pretty simple I guess.

And obvious, that too.

I'm just not sure how true it is.

O's gave up on Yaz when they were bad.

O's gave up on Justin Turner when they were bad.

O's gave up on Jose Bautista when they weren't good.

O's gave up on Nestor Cortes when they were bad.

The vast majority of the time when a team, good or bad, gives up on a player they have marginal success afterward.   Sometimes they end up having a big career.  I'm not sure the hard data supports that the latter happens more often to good teams.  The former probably does but those are fungible assets.  Do we care if a Evan Phillips has a nice year out of the pen for the Dodgers in 2022?

Edited by Can_of_corn

The big club being bad or good has nothing to do with the point.

The depth of the farm is the point.

If your farm is stacked at every position... the weaker players in that farm are likely to be better than if your farm wasn't stacked at every position.

Therefore the stacked farm needing to release weaker players, would likely be releasing better players.

I can't even see how this could be the least be controversial.

But then again, I am talking to you. 😆

I kinda liked Diplan and am sorry to see him go. I thought he was a good pitcher to have in case of an emergency. But letting Hartman go does make sense. I'm hoping this means many of our newly acquired players are forcing these roster changes and strengthening the system even further!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, owknows said:

Don’t mind CoC, he’s clearly smart, but sometimes he picks a fight just to pick it. 😂

The best counter point, IMO, is that bad orgs (like the Nats now) are probably more likely to release guys with talent that they just couldn’t unlock than good orgs. 

Looking Diplan's age and his career minor league stats and his limited stats in the Majors I can not see a reason to release him based on his performance.  

I hate to guess but I have to imagine he may of done something that the Orioles can not have around their other players.   My imagination kind of runs to drugs or fighting with fellow players or something else discovered about him that the Orioles would cut a 25 year old prospect that seems to be putting up decent numbers.  For me it is a mystery.