For those who thought Tex wanted to be a Yankee...

JTrea81

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a reply to a poster on Peter Schmuck's blog:

Pete's reply: My opinion on this is well-documented. I wanted Tex, for some of the reasons you state here. He would have fit nicely into the long-term rebuilding plan while having the immediate effect of mollifying the disgruntled fan base. To me, he would have been worth eight years at $180 million, but the fact is, Boras made it pretty clear to the Orioles that there was no reason for them to make a counter-offer. He didn't want to come here. The O's contacted Boras several times and told him they were ready to modify their offer. He often changed the subject. It just wasn't going to happen. I wish it had turned out differently, because I believe it was a unique opportunity for the O's that won't come along again any time soon.

That's really why this took so long. Tex was waiting for the Yankees to come into the mix. As soon as they did, he jumped. People can try to sugar coat it, but the bottom line is, Tex had only one team in his head all along and it happened to be the one that is most hated by Oriole fans.

If I was working at OPACY, I would record the boos and play it over the PA system, so it is amplified, just to remind him of the shame. ;)

Impossible, all of our All-Star posters said that MacPhail dropped the ball, moved too slow, and never tried to waver from his 7/140. Just look at the posts, they prove that its true. I don't know where Schmuck gets off using things like actual evidence from people who were involved in the talks. I'm fairly positive the people who post on the OH who knew that Tex wanted to be an Oriole, and was lowballed only to begrudgingly sign with the Yankee's, will read that above quote and ignore the evidence and continue to bash MacPhail for not upping his offer. :rolleyes:

Did you even read that article? Tex wanted to avoid going to Boston. He didn't want to play for the Nationals obviously because they were the worst team in MLB and he had no ties. The Yankees were willing to offer him enough money and the fact he didn't have to play in Boston or for the worst team in baseball. The Orioles could have been the preferred alternative to Boston.

He's said he's wanted to play in Baltimore in the past, but the Orioles never gave him a reason to play there. They had the lowest offer and weren't willing to go much higher. Tex wasn't going to take a hometown discount but he probably would have signed for 8/180 if the Orioles had offered it. Now the Yankees might have beat that or might have not, but the Orioles had much more of a shot in the Tex sweepstakes than they are telling everybody.

They just chose not to be players...

When are you going to understand that he was being diplomatic when he said he wanted to play for the O's?

If he wanted to play for the O's like you said he did, he would have had Boras call the Orioles instead of the Yankees.

Look at his actions...he waited around until the Yankees came to the table NY is where he wanted to go all along. He didn't want to play here at all...if it makes you feel better to think he did, fine. But I think a lot of us have come to the realization that we were never really in it from the start.

Had the Orioles orginally offered him 8/184 out of the gate he probably would have signed with us. I don't blame Tex for taking more money even though he did sign with the Yankees.

Then the Yankees would have offered 8/200. If a player is all about money, then they will get their man. I saw a character flaw in Tex based on the fact that Boras was his agent. Most classy players would stay away from a Boras-esque type representative, but when its about squeezing every dollar out of a ball club no one is better. It all just depends on what the player's MO is.

Then the Yankees would have offered 8/200. If a player is all about money, then they will get their man. I saw a character flaw in Tex based on the fact that Boras was his agent. Most classy players would stay away from a Boras-esque type representative, but when its about squeezing every dollar out of a ball club no one is better. It all just depends on what the player's MO is.

So are you saying Wieters and Arrieta have no class?

Did you even read that article? Tex wanted to avoid going to Boston. He didn't want to play for the Nationals obviously because they were the worst team in MLB and he had no ties. The Yankees were willing to offer him enough money and the fact he didn't have to play in Boston or for the worst team in baseball. The Orioles could have been the preferred alternative to Boston.

He's said he's wanted to play in Baltimore in the past, but the Orioles never gave him a reason to play there. They had the lowest offer and weren't willing to go much higher. Tex wasn't going to take a hometown discount but he probably would have signed for 8/180 if the Orioles had offered it. Now the Yankees might have beat that or might have not, but the Orioles had much more of a shot in the Tex sweepstakes than they are telling everybody.

They just chose not to be players...

Teixeira chose to be a money grubbing mercenary. I suppose if this were the TeixeiraHangout, the support of someone who immediately chose to sign with the Yankees upon there first offer, would not appear so foolish. I'll support this team and chose to not follow local boys gone bad.

When are you going to understand that he was being diplomatic when he said he wanted to play for the O's?

If he wanted to play for the O's like you said he did, he would have had Boras call the Orioles instead of the Yankees.

Look at his actions...he waited around until the Yankees came to the table NY is where he wanted to go all along. He didn't want to play here at all...if it makes you feel better to think he did, fine. But I think a lot of us have come to the realization that we were never really in it from the start.

The guy offered to recruit Wieters for the Orioles while playing for another AL team. That's being a little bit more than diplomatic...

JTrea, I highly doubt that he was so offended by the O's offers that he decided not to await other proposals. I'm pretty sure that Boras informed him (if he was ever interested) that the O's brass is extremely methodical. He has nothing to lose by saying this, and this is probably some lame attempt by Boras to try to save face for his client.

Torii Hunter was quoted as saying that this whole thing was killing Teixeira. I have no idea how to read into that...maybe he was thinking that he was somewhat conscious of being hated in his home state.

I dont think he ever really wanted to be here, he wanted to be a Yankee bottom line.

IF we offered the exact same contract as the Yankees he still would be going to them in my opinion. I hate to say that because i wanted to believe he was really an Oriole fan and would end up here but the bottom line is even if he was a Oriole fan growing up that is over, now he cares more about the money and winning right away.

Jtrea, what is your spin on this quote from Schmuck?

To me, he would have been worth eight years at $180 million, but the fact is, Boras made it pretty clear to the Orioles that there was no reason for them to make a counter-offer. He didn't want to come here.

Boras probably didn't want a counteroffer because Tex was probably miffed by the lowball offer. It would have been interesting to see Tex having to turn down more or equal money to go to the Yankees over the Orioles. I bet he would have chosen the Orioles in that case...

And if he did, then fans would be justiifed in vindicating the FO, but the reality is we can't let them off the hook because they never really gave Tex that chance.

Well, 20 mil. a year is certainly not a low-ball offer, especially when you consider it to be a starting point. He wanted to be a Yankee and when they came into the mix he jumped. That also explains why the O's where never really mentioned in the negotiations.

He has burned the bridges in his wife's homestate of Ga and now in his own homestate.

Where'd Tex ever recruit Wieters to play for the Orioles?
Happy to help: Teixeira also said he'd be eager to facilitate a happy marriage between the Orioles and their first-round Draft pick, catcher Matt Wieters of Georgia Tech. Teixeira set numerous records during his three years at Georgia Tech, where he was an All-America selection and the 2000 Dick Howser Award winner as national collegiate player of the year.

"They got a great guy," Teixeira said of the Orioles' fifth overall Draft pick. "Hopefully he signs, because he's a great athlete and so poised. He's really in the mold of Jason Varitek. I'm hoping he signs with the Orioles and has a great career. If he wants to pick up the phone, I'd love to talk to him."

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070706&content_id=2071694&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Archived