On this date (August 8th) in 2012, Manny Machado was called up to the majors.

wildcard

If the Orioles call up Henderson, Stowers, and/or Hall today that means they're probably free agents, when... after 2028?  But if they wait until late April of next year they're not free agents until after 2029, correct?  At least if nothing changes in the CBA between now and then.

Of course they could sign any of them to a contract buying out arb years and even some potential free agent years, exchanging potential total dollars for security and locking them up beyond 2029.  Would any of them bite on, say, an 8/60 contract on the condition they'd get called up tomorrow?

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If the Orioles call up Henderson, Stowers, and/or Hall today that means they're probably free agents, when... after 2028?  But if they wait until late April of next year they're not free agents until after 2029, correct?  At least if nothing changes in the CBA between now and then.

Of course they could sign any of them to a contract buying out arb years and even some potential free agent years, exchanging potential total dollars for security and locking them up beyond 2029.  Would any of them bite on, say, an 8/60 contract on the condition they'd get called up tomorrow?

Unless they finish in the top 2 of RoY voting.

It is an auspicious day to remember.  For the record, Manny has been worth 49.2 rWAR in his exactly 10 years.  Despite his early knee injuries that had some worried about his durability, he’s played in 1,395 games, topping 150 seven times and playing in all 60 games of the shortened 2020 season.  That was a great day when he was called up and he certainly lived up to the high expectations placed on him.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless they finish in the top 2 of RoY voting.

How does this work?  This is what I found, but what about free agency dates? This just talks about bonus pools.

A $50 million bonus pool will be implemented for pre-arbitration eligible players who reach certain award or statistical benchmarks. Those who finish in the top 5 in MVP or Cy Young voting, top 2 in Rookie of the Year voting or place on the First or Second All-MLB team will receive set amounts from the bonus pool.

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would guess Hall and Stowers would.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You pose some interesting thoughts here...I do wonder if Elias chooses some creative workings/contracts to maximize the youth movement.  The 3 team deal last week says he could....exciting times.

-------------

The 2012 the Orioles were in the hunt for the lead in the AL East.  Back 4.5 games to the Yankees on 8/8/12 when they brought up Machado.  And they held on and snagged the wild card finishing 2 games behind the Yankees.

More importantly, when Machado was brought up, the Orioles were up 1.5 games on Tampa Bay in the wildcard race.  However they were tied with Detroit and Oakland in the WC race, when the top two teams got the slots and a chance to play each other.  The Orioles were the top WC team and were only 4.5 games out of first place.

Machado helped the Orioles hold that position.  Were not in that spot today.  It's similar, and of course with more wild card spots available, there is a wider chance.  But the Orioles are still fighting to stay above .500 and have been on the outside looking in every day this season.  

That doesn't mean we cannot embrace the improvement, or that we can't try to win a spot and go just as far as we can.  I remain hopeful that the Orioles do claim a spot in the dance and relish a chance to enter the playoffs with a nothing to lose mentality.  But I am also grateful for every single day that the Orioles are playing above .500 and enjoying every day even if we get no closer.  And I am not really worried with who is playing where or who is up.  I am simply enjoying the group that is here.  They have been quite amazing and I am enthralled by what is to come.

• Upvote 1