Jordan Lyles 2023?

wildcard

Should the O's pick up his option if he continues to pitch the way he has for the reason of the season.   Let say his season stats are:

13-12,  33 starts, 4.35 ERA,  195 IP,   217 H,   1.44 WHIP

Should the O's  pick up his 11m option for next season?

Edited by wildcard

I think he would be good value, but in terms of fit, I don't think we need a generic innings eater guy as much as we did this year. We really need a #1/#2 who can actually win big ball games. Two months ago I would have said picking up his option is a no brainer but now I'd rather spend the money on Clevinger/Perez/Manaea. Yes, you could do both but I kind of doubt this organization would do that.

The inconsistent nature of the thinking on this site can be amazing to me.

People think it’s going to be simple to replace Lopez.  People acknowledge how the wall is so helpful to pitching.

But yet people think we should pay 10M for a mediocre pitcher who is pretty easily replaceable?

I mean, i agree that the innings he pitches are important, even if they are subpar innings and I also agree that his salary means very little with our payroll.

However, at what point do people come to the conclusion that we should and deserve better?  I feel that the mindset of the Os fan is so off on so many topics.

Some of that has to do with expectations from terrible ownership for a quarter century. But some of it is also just not used to making bigger moves to add top quality talent.

The Os need to add 2 legit ML starters in the offseason.  Resources need to go towards that rather than guys that help you “get by”.  

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he would be good value, but in terms of fit, I don't think we need a generic innings eater guy as much as we did this year. We really need a #1/#2 who can actually win big ball games. Two months ago I would have said picking up his option is a no brainer but now I'd rather spend the money on Clevinger/Perez/Manaea. Yes, you could do both but I kind of doubt this organization would do that.

This is where I stand. 

Given the OP question is should, I would say: yes, they should...but I agree more than that they need a TOR arm. 

I would love to see a rotation of a TOR free agent (or trade) along with Grayson, T.Wells, Lyles, and one of Bradish/Kremer/etc. I think that gives you some nice depth in the rotation as it would leave a few guys out that can fill in for inevitable injuries and Means mid-to-late next year as well.

I'm leaning towards no Lyles is benefiting big time from the new left field wall. In 59.1 innings pitched at OPACY Lyles has given up 3 home runs with a 2.73 ERA.

On the road Lyles has pitched 71 innings and given up 15 home runs with a 5.70 ERA. Orioles would be better off trying to target another veteran pitcher to take his spot in the rotation. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

People think it’s going to be simple to replace Lopez.  People acknowledge how the wall is so helpful to pitching.

But yet people think we should pay 10M for a mediocre pitcher who is pretty easily replaceable?

I mean, i agree that the innings he pitches are important, even if they are subpar innings and I also agree that his salary means very little with our payroll.

However, at what point do people come to the conclusion that we should and deserve better?  I feel that the mindset of the Os fan is so off on so many topics.

Some of that has to do with expectations from terrible ownership for a quarter century. But some of it is also just not used to making bigger moves to add top quality talent.

The Os need to add 2 legit ML starters in the offseason.  Resources need to go towards that rather than guys that help you “get by”.  

You seem to be thinking that OH posters think that his option should be picked up.   So far that does not seem to be true for the majority of those responding.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They absolutely need to add two higher end starters this off-season.  I don’t think that precludes Lyles adding value to the team next year.  He gives them a reasonable shot most times he starts.  

2 minutes ago, PeteCanes said:

They absolutely need to add two higher end starters this off-season.  I don’t think that precludes Lyles adding value to the team next year.  He gives them a reasonable shot most times he starts.  

You aren’t adding 2 real starters and keeping Lyles.  It’s a bad use of resources.

• Upvote 1

If we add 30 innings to each of the current starters for next  year there are still a lot of starters on pitch limits.   Not many that will be able to pitch 150 innings.

Grayson   100 IP

Wells   125 IP

Means 100 IP in 2/3 of  a season

Kremer  100 IP

Bradish   120 IP

Hall 130 IP if he is a starter

Watkins 140 IP

Voth  115 IP

Just adding to the discussion

Edited by wildcard