Why isn’t Stowers here?

ManciniFan

50 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think this thread is making an obvious point, but about the wrong player.

The obvious upgrade for this team isn't Stowers, it's Henderson for Nevin. That lets you do L/R at 2B (Urias/Odor) and still have Odor there for defense if you really want it.

Stowers will take innings and ABs from Hays, Santander and Vavra. You could argue also from Mullins or Mountcastle, depending on how the defensive alignment changes.

I want Stowers here, but he's not a clear upgrade over those guys. It's marginal.

The upgrade is Henderson. 8/23 can't get here soon enough.

100 percent this

Baseball is a long season. You see that a young Vavra is giving us a shot in the arm. Henderson and Stowers could too. The rest of the team could rotate days off. 

All this sounds good, and I see no benefit off slow playing Stowers for his age 31 season, but I still don’t think Elias does any of this. 

Hope so…

Something I’d like to point out is that DJ Stewart is also killing it at AAA and DJ Stewart sucks. Maybe Stowers isn’t up because the organization can see flaws in his game and want him to get regular ABs to work on it before bringing him up to sit on the bench half the time? Not saying I think that’s the entire reason but just because he’s doing great at AAA doesn’t mean it’s going to translate. He may not even be able to pull off Mancini numbers like we all seem to be assuming. 

53 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You have to wonder how open minded leadership is at this point.

Stowers would have been better over the last couple of months probably than Hays. Would he be better than Santander? You could make that argument. Would he be better than Mancini was? Most likely. What if they gave Mountcastle's ABs to him? Stowers definitely would have been better. Mullins? Yup.

But I think there's still faith in our outfield and Mountcastle. And I think they love Vavra and value great defense at the end of the game. 

I get why they're not promoting Stowers is all I'm saying even though, right now, I'm penciling him in for 150 games in RF next year and expecting that to be better than we've gotten there this year.

One thing I was worried about 2 months ago when it started to look like we were going to see these guys in the majors this year is how long it takes them to get used to MLB pitching. Adley had he's initial period where he struggled, so I worried that bringing up too many at once or close together would have an impact our the team's success.

I wish they would give us a little something to explain their thinking.

38 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Baseball is a long season. You see that a young Vavra is giving us a shot in the arm. Henderson and Stowers could too. The rest of the team could rotate days off. 

All this sounds good, and I see no benefit off slow playing Stowers for his age 31 season, but I still don’t think Elias does any of this. 

Hope so…

Might be able to squeeze another 40 grade prospect out of another team in 2025 with the extra year of control.

Everyone!  Inhale.  Hold it a few seconds.  Exhale.

Your team has the best farm system in baseball.   It has gotten deeper in the last 2 weeks.   The international program is beginning to produce.   The ML team, which no one thought would even be a .500 team, is in contention for a wildcard.

Mike Elias chief focus is player development.    Kyle Stowers is 24 years old.   If he gets called up now, they Orioles will have control through his age 30 season.   Mike Elias says they are having discussions  daily about brining up Stowers.   So why don't they?   First, where's he going to play.  With Vavra at DH most of the time, and Hays, Mullins, Santander healthy, there's not spot for him.   His manager, most likely, is telling him all is fine with Odor at 2B.   In fact, he's probably telling him he wants Odor at 2B.   Tough to argue against it with the team's current situation.

Just looked at video of Stowers from last night.   We forget sometimes that these guys are still learning.   Stowers is learning to cut down on his swing at certain times.  Just watch the video from last night.   Henderson is learning to hit LHP.   Westburg is learning not to get pull happy and put himself into long slumps.   In the long run the team will be better that these adjustments were made before they were called up.   In the short term, you have a total surprise team whose manager is happy with what he's got.  For now.

On paper, there's no doubt that you can upgrade by benching Odor, putting Henderson at 3B and Urias at 2B  or putting Vavra at 2B and putting Stowers into the DH/OF mix.   Hyde and Elias could be wrong.  Maybe they are but Hyde knows his clubhouse and has a good feel for his team.   If the decision is to go with his guys, I'm not going to sweat it.    

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Everyone!  Inhale.  Hold it a few seconds.  Exhale.

Your team has the best farm system in baseball.   It has gotten deeper in the last 2 weeks.   The international program is beginning to produce.   The ML team, which no one thought would even be a .500 team, is in contention for a wildcard.

Mike Elias chief focus is player development.    Kyle Stowers is 24 years old.   If he gets called up now, they Orioles will have control through his age 30 season.   Mike Elias says they are having discussions  daily about brining up Stowers.   So why don't they?   First, where's he going to play.  With Vavra at DH most of the time, and Hays, Mullins, Santander healthy, there's not spot for him.   His manager, most likely, is telling him all is fine with Odor at 2B.   In fact, he's probably telling him he wants Odor at 2B.   Tough to argue against it with the team's current situation.

Just looked at video of Stowers from last night.   We forget sometimes that these guys are still learning.   Stowers is learning to cut down on his swing at certain times.  Just watch the video from last night.   Henderson is learning to hit LHP.   Westburg is learning not to get pull happy and put himself into long slumps.   In the long run the team will be better that these adjustments were made before they were called up.   In the short term, you have a total surprise team whose manager is happy with what he's got.  For now.

On paper, there's no doubt that you can upgrade by benching Odor, putting Henderson at 3B and Urias at 2B  or putting Vavra at 2B and putting Stowers into the DH/OF mix.   Hyde and Elias could be wrong.  Maybe they are but Hyde knows his clubhouse and has a good feel for his team.   If the decision is to go with his guys, I'm not going to sweat it.    

So, all of these things they are learning…when does that learning end?

Mullins killed lefties last year and sucks against them now.

Adley is struggling vs lefties…should we send him down to learn more?

This sport, all sports, are a constant learning and development process. It never ends and that learning and development is allowed to happen at the Ml level.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

So, all of these things they are learning…when does that learning end?

Mullins killed lefties last year and sucks against them now.

Adley is struggling vs lefties…should we send him down to learn more?

This sport, all sports, are a constant learning and development process. It never ends and that learning and development is allowed to happen at the Ml level.

I leave it to the experts.   They want these guys as fully baked as possible so that they are getting the best possible 6 years (or 6+) they can get.   Getting 6 months or a year of growing pains at the ML level just means that's less productive time you're getting up here.   There's no way of telling whether Henderson or whoever becomes a better ML player by getting an extra 2 months in the minors this year or by getting that time in the majors.    Is he able to better make adjustments with less pressure?   We can agree that you can't learn how to hit ML pitching unless you are facing ML pitching.   I haven't got all the answers.    You seem to.

I

Anyway, I agree that Stowers should be up, but the hand wringing about it is getting a bit tiresome.  Same with Henderson, too.

We can all agree that these guys would be upgrades over what we currently have.  Yeah, it sucks that they're not up, but beating this dead horse into a bloody unrecognizable pulp is exhausting.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I leave it to the experts.   They want these guys as fully baked as possible so that they are getting the best possible 6 years (or 6+) they can get.   Getting 6 months or a year of growing pains at the ML level just means that's less productive time you're getting up here.   There's no way of telling whether Henderson or whoever becomes a better ML player by getting an extra 2 months in the minors this year or by getting that time in the majors.    Is he able to better make adjustments with less pressure?   We can agree that you can't learn how to hit ML pitching unless you are facing ML pitching.   I haven't got all the answers.    You seem to.

I

Disagree.  If you watched the Jeter documentary on ESPN, he talked about being up with the Yankees in '95, sitting on the bench and experiencing the playoff run and the series against the Mariners.  IIRC, he called the experience invaluable.

You can leave it to the experts all you want, that's fine.  But Henderson is dominating, one could argue that he's proven he can handle upper minor level pitching just fine.  There might be things that he needs to fine tune at that level that are imperceptible to us, but I don't see how beating up on minor league pitching for two months is better for him than seeing what he can do against ML pitching, taking that experience into the offseason so he knows what he needs to work on before spring training '23.

Same with Stowers, to a lesser degree.  Yeah, he's not dominating the way Henderson is but I think he's shown he can mash at the level that he's at.