The Lopez trade is costing the O's wins

Three Run Homer

On 9/1/2022 at 6:39 AM, btdart20 said:

Until we bench Odor, I can’t say any trade is the reason we would miss the playoffs.

Povich looks like a #2-3 starter in the making.  Grayson (and hopefully Hall sticks) in 2023. Povich and Johnson in 2024.  I’ll take that as a pitching pipeline over what we’ve seen the past 5 years or so.

Thats an optimistic assessment of Povich. 

I agree trading Lopez isn’t going to cost us a playoff spot. 

I switched to the Twins game last night on mlb.tv.   I felt sorry for him.  Tough loss.    He hit a batter to load the bases and then hit Abreu to force in the winning run.   However, on review it was ruled a foul ball off the knob of the handle.   Then Abreu hits what would have been an easy DP up the middle to the 2B and Lopez reaches for it and deflects it just enough to make the DP impossible.   Game over.    He was pretty dejected and upset on the mound as the team walked off the field.    

So he's got 2 or 3 blown saves for the Twins and a loss.   He hasn't pitched that badly but he hasn't been great either.

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I switched to the Twins game last night on mlb.tv.   I felt sorry for him.  Tough loss.    He hit a batter to load the bases and then hit Abreu to force in the winning run.   However, on review it was ruled a foul ball off the knob of the handle.   Then Abreu hits what would have been an easy DP up the middle to the 2B and Lopez reaches for it and deflects it just enough to make the DP impossible.   Game over.    He was pretty dejected and upset on the mound as the team walked off the field.    

So he's got 2 or 3 blown saves for the Twins and a loss.   He hasn't pitched that badly but he hasn't been great either.

We gave him away at the right time.  He gets too dejected and emotional.  

On 8/28/2022 at 5:34 PM, tntoriole said:

Oh and Jorge’s WHIP 1.567 with Twins and 0.972 with us.. And K/9 was 10.1 with us, 7.0 with them.: he was traded at his peak and we likely would have had more blown saves if he was closing instead of Bautista. 

but we can’t know.. in Elias we trust lol 

What's amazing to me is that the Twins traded for Lopez after he blew two saves against them. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

In fairness, he beaned a batter right before that and then proceeded to yell at the batter for some reason, which caused the benches to clear.

7 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

In fairness, he beaned a batter right before that and then proceeded to yell at the batter for some reason, which caused the benches to clear.

Tie game. Men on first and second.  Lopez fastball runs inside and hits Vaughn.  Vaughn acts all upset like it was intentional.  I don’t blame Lopez.  Only an idiot doesn’t understand that’s accidental.  Rocco Baldelli was like “are guys serious?”.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I am wondering if Lopez has some makeup issues that caused the O's to move on from him.

Doubtful. Elias spoke glowingly about Cade Povich and believes Povich can be a "top of the rotation" starter. I think this is a case of the Twins making an offer Elias couldn't turn down.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tie game. Men on first and second.  Lopez fastball runs inside and hits Vaughn.  Vaughn acts all upset like it was intentional.  I don’t blame Lopez.  Only an idiot doesn’t understand that’s accidental.  Rocco Baldelli was like “are guys serious?”.

I think saying "runs inside" is a bit of an understatement; I believe the ball glanced off the part of his helmet that protects the face.

I don't think guys usually assume a pitcher is intentionally trying to hit someone in the head. It's more like, you can't miss high and tight that badly even if by accident. Miss low, miss inside, miss high, miss tight, or any combination of those things, but don't miss high and tight.

Apparently there was some backstory as to Vaughn being hit previously or Lopez throwing at them, but I don't know the details. 

21 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I am wondering if Lopez has some makeup issues that caused the O's to move on from him.

Definitely was crazy of him to be yelling at a batter he just hit in the face in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run on 3rd.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It definitely wasn't intentional but the batter can still be mad at the location when it's at the head. He gave Jorge a look and then went to first. Didn't have to be a big deal until Jorge started yelling. When he was slamming his glove at the end I thought he was mad at himself more so than Vaughn but the whole thing was bizarre.

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

I think saying "runs inside" is a bit of an understatement; I believe the ball glanced off the part of his helmet that protects the face.

I don't think guys usually assume a pitcher is intentionally trying to hit someone in the head. It's more like, you can't miss high and tight that badly even if by accident. Miss low, miss inside, miss high, miss tight, or any combination of those things, but don't miss high and tight.

Apparently there was some backstory as to Vaughn being hit previously or Lopez throwing at them, but I don't know the details. 

Definitely was crazy of him to be yelling at a batter he just hit in the face in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run on 3rd.

Tie game. One out. Runners on first and second.  Obviously, a pitcher can miss high and inside.  They aren’t robots.   To even think it’s possible that Lopez was intentionally hit Vaughn to load the bases with one out is pretty dumb.  It defies common sense and baseball sense.   Lopez was pissed that he did it and then to have Vaughn be an idiot and make a thing of it.  Well.

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Well he hit him in the shoulder, not the face, and Vaughn started chirping at Lopez immediately. He isn’t allowed to say anything back when someone is that stupid to act like the pitcher is trying to hit him to load the bases in a tie game in the 9th inning with Jose Abreu on deck?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1