Roch: Gunnar and Hall heading to Cleveland to join taxi squad (Update: Gunnar added to 26-man roster on 8/31)

Brooks The Great

1 minute ago, Low Country Bird said:

I understand not bringing Henderson up until last week to avoid the rookie eligibility issues with days and at-bats.  I just don't understand not bringing him up earlier this week when that was no longer an issue.  He should have been in the line-up all three nights in Cleveland.  Instead of Odor, Urias or Mountcastle...take your pick.  

Reps at 2b.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Because he’s not good. Pitchers know he can’t hurt them if they just throw strikes, so he’s really fallen off after his hot start. 

So he goes through a short rough patch and you decide he isn't any good.  Good thing Weaver didn't buy into SSS otherwise Cal R would of been a bench warmer most of his career after his disappointing start to his major league career. 

We will have to see where he plays. He Urias has a very good glove at 3rd. I would prefer Henderson to play 3rd and Urias 2nd. 

They didn’t want to bring him up earlier due to Nevin being the 1B backup. I know he has been playing 2nd as well.  Have to see how he is used.  

1. Glad he is coming up

2. He will be on the postseason roster (if there is one). ME will figure it out.

3. He will struggle some as most do when first called up.

4. It will be interesting to see if he platoons with Urias at 3B. (I hope not).

5. Or, does he supplant Odor at 2B?

6. Would like to see him play 1B some because Mountcastle is killing us most of the time. Unless it's the Blue Jays. 

7. Was really hoping Westberg was coming to play 2B. 

Good news, now we can focus on complaining about who's not getting playing time instead of when Gunnar is coming up.  Who's next on the list of AAA players we can whine about not being called up?  Westburg?  Grayson?  Cowser?  I'm sure it will be somebody soon!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

About time!  :)  I kid (not really)!

The idea of playing him at 2B is pretty silly IMHO.  He's got the skills to be a GG 3B as a floor.  Urias has been good, but let's put Gunnar to maximize his value.

My plan would have him playing 3B 100% of the time vs. righties and 50/50 vs. lefties.  Urias would play nearly 100% of the time at 2B (and shift to 3B when Gunnar sits vs. tough lefties).  Allows Gunnar to grow and get reps, but hopefully puts the team in a spot to pick up some W's in the home stretch too.  Gunnar's work against lefties can grow/diminish as this season progresses and reassess heading into next spring (where he should be 100% vs. righty and lefty).

Odor can focus and excel at his primary value-add as the head cheerleader and clubhouse goon.  This allows him/the team to pack light for him since he only needs to bring his pom-poms and hand-wraps to the games.  

Okay, I'll say it. Bringing Gunnar up may in fact hurt the O's playoff chances. While I agree that he should be up let's not pretend that it is not more likely that he struggles for a few or even several weeks, like most do when first promoted. He may, in fact hit at Odor/Mountcastle levels for an extended time. Again, I am saying that he should be up, he should get the lion's share to the playing time and it is better for his and the O's long term success for him to make his debut but he is likely not going to perform at a level of being a savior. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Good news, now we can focus on complaining about who's not getting playing time instead of when Gunnar is coming up.  Who's next on the list of AAA players we can whine about not being called up?  Westburg?  Grayson?  Cowser?  I'm sure it will be somebody soon!

I vote we complain about Westburg...in fact I already have!

• Haha 1

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I thought they were allowed to practice, but not sit on the bench and be in the dugout?

Right.   The taxi squad is not the roster.   It's just a Covid-era construct that allows you to send some minor leaguers on a road trip with the team, so that if a move does need to be made they would be available to be added to the roster.   The logic was anyone could test positive for Covid at any time, and it would be nice to have some guys with the team so if a guy tested + at noon you could replace him on the roster that night, while it might not  have been possible if the replacement was in Norfolk or Gwinnett or somewhere.

Now it doesn't have to be for a Covid replacement, it can be any move, including, obviously, being added to the roster when it expands to 28 tonight.

So this move means nothing in terms of tonight's roster.   And in theory, it doesn't have to mean anything at all, we have had guys come on trips on the taxi squad many road trips before and not get added to the roster.   Nothing is official.   But of course it is a strong indication that we will be adding these two guys to the roster for tomorrow's game when the roster expands to 28, and we wanted them to fly to Cleveland a day in advance.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Okay, I'll say it. Bringing Gunnar up may in fact hurt the O's playoff chances. While I agree that he should be up let's not pretend that it is not more likely that he struggles for a few or even several weeks, like most do when first promoted. He may, in fact hit at Odor/Mountcastle levels for an extended time. Again, I am saying that he should be up, he should get the lion's share to the playing time and it is better for his and the O's long term success for him to make his debut but he is likely not going to perform at a level of being a savior. 

The defense will be better though.