Astros GM Contract Expiring

2 minutes ago, MDS29 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/09/astros-gm-james-clicks-contract-expires-after-2022-season.html#comments

Not to buy into all the Elias departure fear mongering  I see on here from time to time, but this is the one job I think he (or Sig) would seriously jump ship for. Spidey senses tingling on this one.

I don't think they want to go back and have to deal with the sign stealing stuff again, because it would come up.

Dont we have Elias under contract for next year?  I would assume John Angelos would have the same view of Peter Angelos and declare tampering and request players in trade if they attempted to poach our GM.  Toronto wanted to poach Duquette and Angelos shot that down.   Usually Baseball only lets you out of contracts if the job you are potentially getting hired from is a promotion.  Elias is already GM the job in Houston would not be a promotion.   I dont see us agreeing to let him go. 

And I doubt Elias wants to leave now anyway.   He has his team potentially ready to blossom and I think he wants to see how it turns out.  I think Elias would only leave if the Orioles looked like they were going to be sold.  But seeing how he has done he might even be asked to stay on by a new ownership group.  

Elias isnt going anywhere it does not make sense. 

13 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Dont we have Elias under contract for next year?  I would assume John Angelos would have the same view of Peter Angelos and declare tampering and request players in trade if they attempted to poach our GM.  Toronto wanted to poach Duquette and Angelos shot that down.   Usually Baseball only lets you out of contracts if the job you are potentially getting hired from is a promotion.  Elias is already GM the job in Houston would not be a promotion.   I dont see us agreeing to let him go. 

And I doubt Elias wants to leave now anyway.   He has his team potentially ready to blossom and I think he wants to see how it turns out.  I think Elias would only leave if the Orioles looked like they were going to be sold.  But seeing how he has done he might even be asked to stay on by a new ownership group.  

Elias isnt going anywhere it does not make sense. 

I don't believe the details of his contract were ever confirmed, but he's got to be coming up on the end of terms of his initial contract I'd believe. Baseball teams can always invent a higher title if needed; Elias is the Executive Vice President and GM of the Orioles. The Astros could offer him the President of Baseball Operations and GM position of the Astros if they wanted to, and while it would be no different they could spin it as a promotion.

That being said, I doubt Elias returns to the Astros, too much tainted history there that he's been trying to distance himself from.