Not going to work in this park

eddie83

The RHH portion of this lineup needs an overhaul. When it’s 900 degrees in the summer the ball will fly some. It’s Death Valley to LF. This park used to benefit balls hit into the air in LF. No longer. Terrible approaches from the right side. This isn’t going to work. Great for the arms but not great for pull happy poor approach hitters. That’s the big fix for the offense. Need better all around hitters from the right side. Sure maybe the lack of shifts next year will help some but still. 

Should also benefit LH SP in the rotation if we add one.  Ballpark is completely changed and Elias better change with it. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The RHH portion of this lineup needs an overhaul. When it’s 900 degrees in the summer the ball will fly some. It’s Death Valley to LF. This park used to benefit balls hit into the air in LF. No longer. Terrible approaches from the right side. This isn’t going to work. Great for the arms but not great for pull happy poor approach hitters. That’s the big fix for the offense. Need better all around hitters from the right side. Sure maybe the lack of shifts next year will help some but still. 

Should also benefit LH SP in the rotation if we add one.  Ballpark is completely changed and Elias better change with it. 

Both sides bat in the ball park from the right side.  The Orioles right hand hitters have not hit well since mid-August in ANY ballpark.  With the shift's ending the team may definitely stack the team with more left handed hitting for sure in the future but I don't think we need to blame the ballpark.

44 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Both sides bat in the ball park from the right side.  The Orioles right hand hitters have not hit well since mid-August in ANY ballpark.  With the shift's ending the team may definitely stack the team with more left handed hitting for sure in the future but I don't think we need to blame the ballpark.

Look at the hitters style. This group is not going to work. The days of 365 foot HR’s are over. 

My point is we have guys hacking from the right side playing in the biggest LF in the sport now. Who from the right side gets on base with an consistency and uses the whole field with any consistency. Nobody. 

And to be fair they haven’t hit on the road much either. I’m just saying in years past you were rewarded with cheap HR’s. Now it takes a bomb. 

Edited by eddie83

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only way this gets resolved is by bringing in new right handed hitters because I don't see Mountcastle and Hays altering their approach at the plate enough to adjust.

That’s my point. I’m not saying they all have to go but you can’t keep it like this. Not going to work. 

10 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Give me Westburg at 2B and Ortiz at SS next year. They'd be an upgrade offensively (I believe a big upgrade) over Odor, Mateo, and Urias, with little to no dropoff on defense.

What the Orioles do with those two will be interesting. 

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mountcastle and Hays have value and I wouldn't mind seeing one or both of them traded this offseason. 

They can’t bank on Adley and someone like Westburg next year.  Let’s say Adley picks it up and they keep Santander and he slumps. Westburg is a rookie.

I would really like to see two professional hitters from the right side even if one of them is a platoon type. 

Mountcastle hits the ball to all fields so I don’t consider.  I also wouldn’t make judgement on if you can’t have right handed power hitters based on one year.  Homers are down all around baseball and honestly we have no idea what MLB plans to do with the baseballs they definitely changed the balls from this season to prior seasons now how long they go with these type balls is anyones guess.    I think Mountcastle has 5-10 more homers this season even with the wall change if they used the same balls as last year.  Mountcastle Hays have better numbers at home then on the road.  While Mateo and Urias are worse.   The team is still slightly better at home then on the road from the offensive statistical point.  The park seems to be playing more like the average park compared to being a much better hitter park.

Hays, Mountcastle, Ramon Ortiz, and Mateo would be frustrating to watch in any ballpark. The ballpark is not the issue here. Admittedly it would be nice to have some RHB's with opposite field approaches. Maybe Westburg helps. Overall, the ballpark helps the pitching and we are stocked with LHB's, notably Adley and Gunnar. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I definitely agree. You need RH who use all fields and have some speed. They can take advantage of the LF canyon. I don’t understand why Hays or Mountcastle can’t/don’t make changes in their approach at home. 

Because that's not really a thing? I'd like to see some examples of players who are heavy pull/power hitters in parks that are short to their pull side, but line drive/spray hitters in larger parks.  I don't think those players exist.  It's everything most players can do to come up with one approach that gets them just productive enough to play in the majors, and then they have to constantly tweak to stay there.

People would sometimes say Ichiro or Boggs could flip a switch and become a power hitter or a pull hitter or whatever, but I never even saw evidence of that from a couple of first-ballot HOFers.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Because that's not really a thing? I'd like to see some examples of players who are heavy pull/power hitters in parks that are short to their pull side, but line drive/spray hitters in larger parks.  I don't think those players exist.  It's everything most players can do to come up with one approach that gets them just productive enough to play in the majors, and then they have to constantly tweak to stay there.

People would sometimes say Ichiro or Boggs could flip a switch and become a power hitter or a pull hitter or whatever, but I never even saw evidence of that from a couple of first-ballot HOFers.

Batters make adjustments all the time. You can’t have the same plan at the plate for every pitcher. It’s not like these two guys don’t use all fields during hot streaks, so you know they’re capable.