Not going to work in this park

eddie83

45 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Mountcastle seems to get a lot of balls called strikes against him. Maybe it’s the beginning lean back of his stance.

This ump had a very big strike zone.  Verlander threw 70 strikes in 93 pitches. I bet at least 6-10 of those were balls.  Bradish benefited too.

16 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think every park should be like the new OPACY.  Every new stadium should have to have LF/LC/CF/RC/RF dimensions that add up to at least 1930 feet.  350-390-450-390-350 would do it.  But so would 300-440-450-440-300.  Or 325-380-415-477-333.

And if you try to make the fences in between those signs really short they tie you to a post outside the stadium and every day the fans can come by and shoot you with paint guns, and the fences get fixed by my own architectural committee.

"And there's a long drive from Henderson, down the right field line and...gone! Wow, he got another one out! That's his 12th home run of the year, which ties him for the second most home runs in baseball this year. Tomorrow is the last game of the regular season, so let's see if he can get to lucky number 13. Of course, Judge leads the league with 50."

22 minutes ago, deward said:

"And there's a long drive from Henderson, down the right field line and...gone! Wow, he got another one out! That's his 12th home run of the year, which ties him for the second most home runs in baseball this year. Tomorrow is the last game of the regular season, so let's see if he can get to lucky number 13. Of course, Judge leads the league with 50."

"It's a line drive up the RC gap and it gets through... still rolling but CFer Rodriguez and his sprinter speed is catching up. Fabulous pop-up slide at the track to pick it up. Henderson rounding second, into third, they're waiving him around!!!  Rifle armed cutoff, the ball and the runner get to the plate at almost the same moment, beautiful slide by Gunner and he's scores!  Inside the park home run!  That's what athleticism in baseball is all about ladies and gentlemen."

Or... "Henderson gets some pretty good wood on the ball, Rodriguez goes back three steps, and... that one's over the 364 sign, 10 rows deep, for his 37th homer of the year, and that pulls the O's back into this one, only down 11-7 here in the 4th.  That moves Gunnar into a tie for 6th on the team in homers."

• Haha 1

After the Orioles game last night I flipped on the Sox-Yankees game on FOX. Judge smacked one deep to CF and it looked off the bat it may be gone. All the statcast numbers were plenty good. He hit it 113mph it went 403. Caught at wall. 

I think in the summer the wall will not be as big of a story. The park now is already big but will play even bigger during certain times of the year. Of course this time of year and into October you could have a 85 degree day or cool nights. 

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

After the Orioles game last night I flipped on the Sox-Yankees game on FOX. Judge smacked one deep to CF and it looked off the bat it may be gone. All the statcast numbers were plenty good. He hit it 113mph it went 403. Caught at wall. 

I think in the summer the wall will not be as big of a story. The park now is already big but will play even bigger during certain times of the year. Of course this time of year and into October you could have a 85 degree day or cool nights. 

Good thing September and October aren’t important parts of the baseball season!  I’ve always thought that was one of the dangers of having a team that’s overly dependent on homers to score runs.  The nature of the game is that, as the weather cools, it’s harder to hit homers during the last weeks of a pennant race and in the postseason.  And in the postseason, hitters are seeing fewer pitchers who are prone to making mistake pitches that can be ambushed.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good thing September and October aren’t important parts of the baseball season!  I’ve always thought that was one of the dangers of having a team that’s overly dependent on homers to score runs.  The nature of the game is that, as the weather cools, it’s harder to hit homers during the last weeks of a pennant race and in the postseason.  And in the postseason, hitters are seeing fewer pitchers who are prone to making mistake pitches that can be ambushed.  

Which is why guys like Gunnar and Adley are so important. The quality of at bats gives them a much better opportunity vs those better arms. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

"It's a line drive up the RC gap and it gets through... still rolling but CFer Rodriguez and his sprinter speed is catching up. Fabulous pop-up slide at the track to pick it up. Henderson rounding second, into third, they're waiving him around!!!  Rifle armed cutoff, the ball and the runner get to the plate at almost the same moment, beautiful slide by Gunner and he's scores!  Inside the park home run!  That's what athleticism in baseball is all about ladies and gentlemen."

Or... "Henderson gets some pretty good wood on the ball, Rodriguez goes back three steps, and... that one's over the 364 sign, 10 rows deep, for his 37th homer of the year, and that pulls the O's back into this one, only down 11-7 here in the 4th.  That moves Gunnar into a tie for 6th on the team in homers."

I prefer my home runs to be over the fence, like God intended. 

12 minutes ago, deward said:

I prefer my home runs to be over the fence, like God intended. 

The first permanent enclosed ball park was the Union Grounds in Brooklyn in 1862, so up to that point all home runs (and they weren't infrequent in that era) were inside the park.  Or probably more accurately, inside the field but not over a fence.  I've seen references to a park in Pennington Gap, Virginia being the last minor league field without a fence as late as the 1920s.  So in the beginning God made baseball without fences and at least in some places it stayed that way for a good, long while. 

Hall of Famer Jesse Burkett hit 75 home runs, including 55 that were inside-the-park, and two which bounced over the fence and would be counted as automatic doubles today.  I'm guessing that the excitement-per-second value of Burkett's homers was significantly higher than any players' today.

Sometime I'd like to see an inside-the-park homer that doesn't involve an outfielder falling down, injuring himself, running into another fielder, or having a Nyjer Morgan tantrum.  Just a long line drive and bunch of people running really fast. That's essentially impossible with today's ballpark architecture.

22 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The first permanent enclosed ball park was the Union Grounds in Brooklyn in 1862, so up to that point all home runs (and they weren't infrequent in that era) were inside the park.  Or probably more accurately, inside the field but not over a fence.  I've seen references to a park in Pennington Gap, Virginia being the last minor league field without a fence as late as the 1920s.  So in the beginning God made baseball without fences and at least in some places it stayed that way for a good, long while. 

Hall of Famer Jesse Burkett hit 75 home runs, including 55 that were inside-the-park, and two which bounced over the fence and would be counted as automatic doubles today.  I'm guessing that the excitement-per-second value of Burkett's homers was significantly higher than any players' today.

Sometime I'd like to see an inside-the-park homer that doesn't involve an outfielder falling down, injuring himself, running into another fielder, or having a Nyjer Morgan tantrum.  Just a long line drive and bunch of people running really fast. That's essentially impossible with today's ballpark architecture.

It basically just requires an outfielder going to the wall but the ball going over his head and off the wall with a long ricochet with the other outfielder not being close enough to get the to it either in time.   Hardly ever happens but every once in awhile.

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It basically just requires an outfielder going to the wall but the ball going over his head and off the wall with a long ricochet with the other outfielder not being close enough to get the to it either in time.   Hardly ever happens but every once in awhile.

I guess I should have added "and without the outfielder misplaying the ball."  I want to see an ISTPer that's just hit in a gap or over someone's head, nobody does anything wrong, and they just can't get it back fast enough to stop him from circling the bases.