John and Georgia Angelos have hired Goldman Sachs to assess the prospects for selling the team

Jim'sKid26

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I wonder if Ripken with be part of a group of buyers? Who else has big money from Baltimore? Under Armour guy, Michael Phelps, Steve Biscotti, maybe somebody from this list

https://patch.com/maryland/baltimore/10-md-billionaires-make-forbes-2021-list-wealthiest-us

Kevin Plank has had a lot of financial woes over the past few seasons if I recall correctly.  I’m also surprised that Biscotti didn’t buy into the Orioles when Clancy passed away.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

As the article stated, (1) for tax reasons it’s hard to sell the Orioles while Peter Angelos is alive, and (2) it’s hard to sell the Orioles until the Nats are sold, since they’re already on the block.   Thus, I will be extremely surprised if the O’s are sold this offseason.  This is more about preparing the market than getting ready for a near-term sale.

Which will prolong the aura of uncertainty around the O's. Most prudent athletes will hesitate to sign a longterm deal with a franchise whose ownership is influx. If the O's are sold in 2025 and you signed a 6 year deal with them in 2023 you have the potential of working for someone you did not negotiate with for 2/3 of the contract. To me that's cause for pause. 

6 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Kevin Plank has had a lot of financial woes over the past few seasons if I recall correctly.  I’m also surprised that Biscotti didn’t buy into the Orioles when Clancy passed away.  

Rubinstein grew up in Baltimore  and big Oriole fan. He tried to buy the Orioles awhile back but think he might buy the Nationals. Davis is one of the rumored guys trying to buy the Orioles. The Ravens and Orioles had a contentious relationship till Showalter and Adam Jones.

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&crop=1012,1013,x627,y

I don't give a Frenchman's **** if the owner is from Baltimore.  He could be a Russian oligarch for all I care.  

Maybe that's getting a little too carried away, I'm sure the Ivans don't care about baseball.  I don't know if Bezos does but I'd be all for someone who could find the payroll luxury tax in his sofa cushions.  

Not that Bezos though, he looks like a twerp there, hold on...

hero-image.fill.size_1200x900.v162336439

There.  That Bezos.

Who says no?  

Edited by Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't give a Frenchman's **** if the owner is from Baltimore.  He could be a Russian oligarch for all I care.  

Maybe that's getting a little too carried away, I'm sure the Ivans don't care about baseball.  I don't know if Bezos does but I'd be all for someone who could find the payroll luxury tax in his sofa cushions.  

There.  That Bezos.

Who says no?  

I'll say no. Bezos is way too anti-union to deal with baseball players. And I don't want his slimy hands near any team I care about.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There.  That Bezos.

Who says no?  

The 29 other owners say no.  They have to approve the deal and they're not going to approve some kind of celebrity billionaire unless he's given them strong assurances that he's going to be part of the club and not a wildcard that uses his personal wealth to supplement the team's revenues and blow by the luxury thresholds. When Mark Cuban was interested in the Cubs it never even got to the official vetting, the owners just let it be known that he didn't stand a chance.

I'd say there's zero chance they'll risk someone like Bezos not only going all Barcelona/Man City on the league, but also the circus sideshow his presence could/would bring with it.

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 29 other owners say no.  They have to approve the deal and they're not going to approve some kind of celebrity billionaire unless he's given them strong assurances that he's going to be part of the club and not a wildcard that uses his personal wealth to supplement the team's revenues and blow by the luxury thresholds. When Mark Cuban was interested in the Cubs it never even got to the official vetting, the owners just let it be known that he didn't stand a chance.

I'd say there's zero chance they'll risk someone like Bezos not only going all Barcelona/Man City on the league, but also the circus sideshow his presence could/would bring with it.

Yeah, let's not have the richest man in the world purchase one of our teams which would single handedly increase every team's value as well as all of MLB's value.   

I'm sure they'd be vehemently opposed.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, let's not have the richest man in the world purchase one of our teams which would single handedly increase every team's value as well as all of MLB's value.   

I'm sure they'd be vehemently opposed.

I don't know if that last sentence was sarcasm, I'm guessing so.  Because you know that the owners would shut down Bezos' bid before he submitted it.  They don't care if the guy will invest $billions in MLB.  They care if he'll be a good member of the country club.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know if that last sentence was sarcasm, I'm guessing so.  Because you know that the owners would shut down Bezos' bid before he submitted it.  They don't care if the guy will invest $billions in MLB.  They care if he'll be a good member of the country club.

Didn't they keep Cuban from buying a team?

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No, it wasn’t sarcasm, what would ever give you that idea?

And no, they’d be stupid to shut down his bid before he submitted it for the reasons I stated. Rising tide lifts all boats. MLB instantly becomes more valuable if he owns a team.  Considering you’re one of the guys on here who’s always arguing “the way we’ve always done it is a poor excuse,” and rails against antiquated thinking, being against Bezos and falling back on “the country club set” falls in line with what you’re typically against. 

Bezos isn’t Cuban, that’s a pretty poor comparison. Hell, Cuban isn’t even Cuban anymore, he’s mellowed considerably over the years. 

People have issues with Amazon, sure.  People hate billionaires, fine.  IMO, it’s jealousy. Don’t get it twisted, I’m not a huge Bezos fan in general but Amazon does make weekly deliveries to my house and I watch Prime a good bit. 

If anyone can point to good reasons why he WOULDN’T be a good owner other than the ideas of “he’s slimy” or “I hate Amazon” or “I hate greedy billionaires” or “he’s a jerk” or something else that’s unoriginal and based on feelings, I’d love to hear it. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, it wasn’t sarcasm, what would ever give you that idea?

And no, they’d be stupid to shut down his bid before he submitted it for the reasons I stated. Rising tide lifts all boats. MLB instantly becomes more valuable if he owns a team.  Considering you’re one of the guys on here who’s always arguing “the way we’ve always done it is a poor excuse,” and rails against antiquated thinking, being against Bezos and falling back on “the country club set” falls in line with what you’re typically against. 

Bezos isn’t Cuban, that’s a pretty poor comparison. Hell, Cuban isn’t even Cuban anymore, he’s mellowed considerably over the years. 

People have issues with Amazon, sure.  People hate billionaires, fine.  IMO, it’s jealousy. Don’t get it twisted, I’m not a huge Bezos fan in general but Amazon does make weekly deliveries to my house and I watch Prime a good bit. 

If anyone can point to good reasons why he WOULDN’T be a good owner other than the ideas of “he’s slimy” or “I hate Amazon” or “I hate greedy billionaires” or “he’s a jerk” or something else that’s unoriginal and based on feelings, I’d love to hear it. 

I'm completely agnostic on Bezos, Orioles owner, I don't care either way.  It might be great, it might be a disaster.  Who knows?  But I think the other 29 would not let him in the club.