What Free Agent would you sign?

DocJJ

Personally, I believe the team as constructed is about the same as last year.  Maybe a game or two better maybe a game or two worse.  I think this way because there are good players who should be better even by playing more games than last year.  I also think some regression either by quality or injury is in order.  Either way, if the team stays as is....I don't think the prospects of playoff baseball are enhanced.  I don't think Elias thinks so either.  

So I do think there will be moves and I think the minimum is one quality SP, one power RP, at least one bat and a back up catcher are on the list.   How that gets filled is going to tell us quite a bit about Elias' plan, Angelos' budget or both.

At the conclusion of the young MASN guys FA preview podcast, Mortensen precisely concluded with his dream scenario - Jameson Taillon, Joc Pederson, Joey Wendle and Austin Hedges.

To the extent Mortensen-Mancano are trying to bracket four roster areas, it feels off to me quartering it into 3 Bats, 1 Arm.    It should be the other way around.

I’m coming around to the idea of bringing Mancini back on a 1 yr deal. It’s kind of middling between Aguilar on a milb deal and contracts we won’t give out to Abreu and JD Martinez.  We need a RH bat. The no shift helps Mancini. His play this year brought down his FA cost. It’s just would he come back to “Walltimore”?

Realistic contracts,

Aguilar - Milb deal

Mancini - 1/8ish

Abreu - 3/45 or something we can’t afford. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m coming around to the idea of bringing Mancini back on a 1 yr deal. It’s kind of middling between Aguilar on a milb deal and contracts we won’t give out to Abreu and JD Martinez.  We need a RH bat. The no shift helps Mancini. His play this year brought down his FA cost. It’s just would he come back to “Walltimore”?

Realistic contracts,

Aguilar - Milb deal

Mancini - 1/8ish

Abreu - 3/45 or something we can’t afford. 

I don’t think Abreu will get three years.  But explain to me why we couldn’t afford him, even at 3/$45 mm?  We absolutely could afford that, if we thought he’d perform well for three seasons.   

Also, why do we need a RH bat?  Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo and Hays are RH, and Rutschman and Santander are switch hitters.   The only full-time lefties in our everyday lineup are Mullins and Henderson.   I just want to get a good hitter or two regardless of which side of the plate they swing from.  

Honestly between the combination of Adley-Gunnar-Kjerstad-Cowser-Holliday and Walltimore I am more or less expecting BAL to lead heavily the MLB of the rest of the decade in PA taken by LHB.

Unless Elias has more than enough $$$ for two Sean Manaeas or closes a trade, I don't have much taste for buying Bats to bury Stowers, but if we did I give the Brantley-Belt-Gallo-Rizzo-Conforto-Joc guy an edge on the Mancini-Abreu-Yuli-JD Martinez type guy.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Abreu will get three years.  But explain to me why we couldn’t afford him, even at 3/$45 mm?  We absolutely could afford that, if we thought he’d perform well for three seasons.   

Also, why do we need a RH bat?  Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo and Hays are RH, and Rutschman and Santander are switch hitters.   The only full-time lefties in our everyday lineup are Mullins and Henderson.   I just want to get a good hitter or two regardless of which side of the plate they swing from.  

Gunnar has had issues hitting LHP. That said, he is not going to sit. I think this is just overcorrection for Aguilar. Might not be an issue if we had just played Stowers every day like everyone wanted. 

Westburg should be ready pretty early and also taking up ABs.

6 hours ago, dabirds said:

That’s about as vague a rumor as you could possibly have.  A reporter’s unnamed “source” is “hearing” the O’s “could be” one of the teams in on deGrom.  Wow!

I guess it’s better than a source hearing that the O’s could be in on Zach Davies.  

13 hours ago, nvpacchi said:

does anyone have any interest in José Quintana?

A great rebound year in the NL central, but already fits the mold of a low K low BB guy the Os already got in spades. Great command though makes it that hia low HR rate in Camden could be repeatable

To me, Quintana is the shopping aisle Elias will be in. Or Tyler Anderson, Chris Bassitt, Corey Kluber.

Merrill Kelly had a very good year and is getting a bit pricy for Ariz. He might be a reasonable trade target. 

I have recently decided that I want the O’s to sign Rizzo and push Mountcastle to DH. Can you imagine an infield defense of all GG-caliber players? That’s assuming Urias is a good 2B. Plus, it’s probably a good idea to load up on left handed hitters since the shift is a thing of the past. 

Still too early to give up on Mountcastle but he’s never been a great fielder so along with his sub-par offense, he is pretty replaceable.

Edited by oriole