Where should DL Hall begin the 2023 season?

wildcard

Roch's Blog states that:  " DL Hall is expected to break camp as one of the pitchers, with starting the organization’s preference."   Looking at Hall's 2022 stats I don't know how to reach that conclusion.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/is-wells-a-definite-starter-in-2023

AAA    3-7,   4.70 ERA,  22 G, 18 S, 76.2 IP, 62 H, 49 BB, 125 K,  1.448 WHIP

O's  1-1,  5.93 ERA, 11G, 1 S,  13.2 IP, 17 H, 6 BB, 19 K, 1.683 WHIP

To me his ERA and WHIP  says he has some unfinished development at AAA.  If the O's have their sights on a playoff berth the prospects that are promoted to the majors should have proved that readiness at AAA.   I don't see that with Hall.

What is your take?

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In his last 8 appearances. 

8.2 IP

8 hits

2 walks

11 strikeouts.

He’s ready to contribute out of the bullpen.  Not sure about starting.

I think Elias has stated that they want him to be a starter in the future.   I think he still needs to improve at AAA to be ready to be a starter for the O's.

Edited by wildcard

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias has stated that they want him to be a starter in the future.   I think he still needs to improve at AAA to be ready to be a starter for the O's.

The quote at the top of the post from Roch’s blog said Hall is expected to be one of the pitchers with starting the preference.  Then you asked for my (our) take.  You got it.

He absolutely should be starting. I think it depends on how he looks in camp.  I don’t put much of anything into ST stats but for a guy like Hall, how he looks and, most importantly, how his command and control look, means everything.

I think we have to remember that he really has a limited amount of innings and just needs to pitch.  

If the goal is to put him in the pen, I would rather trade him as I think his value will still be high.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He absolutely should be starting. I think it depends on how he looks in camp.  I don’t put much of anything into ST stats but for a guy like Hall, how he looks and, most importantly, how his command and control look, means everything.

I agree that where Hall begins the season will depend how he looks in camp.   I think spending September in the majors was good for him.  He looked much smoother and relaxed towards the end of the season than he did in his initial outings.  Now he’s got that debut stuff out of the way and can just focus on pitching.   

There’s little question in my mind, based on what Elias has said, that the O’s will place Hall where he can start, rather than sticking him in the major league bullpen.  He’ll have to show he’s ready to start in the majors.   I’m not worried about his 2022 stats, it’s more about if he’s ready to throw strikes and pitch from ahead in the count.  

I think Hall goes into spring training as a starter and then they see how things go. There are many factors that could go into where he starts the year to include, offseason acquisitions, spring performances, injuries to other starting candidates, and bullpen need.

So you go into spring with Hall preparing as a starter, but depending on how things go, I could see him anywhere from starting 2023 in the Orioles rotation, Orioles bullpen, or Norfolk rotation.

I'll be honest though, I think he's probably best out of the pen. I just never saw the consistency as a starter outside of a few brilliant starts in AAA.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Hall goes into spring training as a starter and then they see how things go. There are many factors that could go into where he starts the year to include, offseason acquisitions, spring performances, injuries to other starting candidates, and bullpen need.

So you go into spring with Hall preparing as a starter, but depending on how things go, I could see him anywhere from starting 2023 in the Orioles rotation, Orioles bullpen, or Norfolk rotation.

I'll be honest though, I think he's probably best out of the pen. I just never saw the consistency as a starter outside of a few brilliant starts in AAA.

He may end up in the pen, but if I’m the O’s, he’s a starter for most of 2023, either in Norfolk or Baltimore.  Because of the missed 2020 season and various injuries, he really doesn’t have that much experience.   I’d like to see him get 20 starts this year, either in the majors, the minors, or both, before deciding what his future role will be.   

At the same time, the needs of the major league team may dictate what happens here.  This should be a contending team, and contending teams don’t leave talented pitchers sitting in AAA for their development if they have a need in the bullpen.  

I think that it could go either way based on how they perceive the team and him. If they are truly "all in" for 2023, I think they stretch him out as a starter in SP and if he wins they job then great. If not, he goes into the pen. He could be dominant in a role like Hader was the first few years. I high leverage guy in middle to late innings who can go 2-3 innings as a bridge.  If they are taking the long view then if he doesn't win a starting job out to ST, then he goes to AAA and starts. I guess it also depends on the innings. He's not going to go out and make 32 starts and pitch 200 innings after pitching just under 100ip this year. 

Edited by MCO'sFan

I'd have him starting in AAA. Seemed like he was on track to be a starter through the break when he fell apart. Get him back on track as a starter, have a solid April and be the first man up when there is an injury. Right now he doesn't deserve a rotation spot and I'd rather have him keep developing in an environment where he can't kill us.