If you could get Jacob deGrom for 2/$90M; would you do it?

Jim'sKid26

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias keep reminding us that the O's are not the Yankees.  2/90 is a Yankee move.  The O's are about developing talent.  

You have them spending 2/66 (and it might be more) on an old DH and a mid rotation starter.   Signing Degrom has little deterrent on developing talent.  Signing Abreu is more likely to cut into the development of Stowers.   If Abreu is the DH and Mountcastle is the 1B, where does Stowers play?

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Astros are a big market team.  The O's are not.

Signing Degrom doesn’t give them a big market payroll or lock them in long term.  I think we can all agree it won’t happen but, theoretically, there’s no reason it wouldn’t make sense.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias keep reminding us that the O's are not the Yankees.  2/90 is a Yankee move.  The O's are about developing talent.  

It’s got nothing to do with being the Yankees or developing talent.  I’m sure we will spend significant sums on free agents in the next two years.  We can do that without coming anywhere near the Yankees’ payroll.  We could afford deGrom if that’s what we wanted to do.   But that’s a lot of eggs in one basket.   

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Senga  doesn’t seem like he belongs in the same sentence as Degrom or Rodon.

He has been the top pitcher in Japan for several years, and is the same age as Rodon. I want the Orioles to sign one pitcher who could be a top 2 starter in the playoffs. I think Senga will be cheaper then either of the other two, but he still projects as a top level pitcher. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You have them spending 2/66 (and it might be more) on an old DH and a mid rotation starter.   Signing Degrom has little deterrent on developing talent.  Signing Abreu is more likely to cut into the development of Stowers.   If Abreu is the DH and Mountcastle is the 1B, where does Stowers play?

I think Elias will stack talent this year so when injuries hit there is not a big drop off in performance.   I think Ortiz, Norby, Hall and Cowser begin the season in AAA and are called up when needed.

Hays and Santander both have a history of injuries.   Stowers is probably in the majors and Hyde is very capable of getting him at bats.

As players develop during the season I think trade will be possible.  Santander may be needed to begin the season but if player develop he could be traded at the deadline.  The O's will be evaluating Mateo, Ortiz and Gunnar at SS during the season.  How that turns out is unknown.   JMO

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s got nothing to do with being the Yankees or developing talent.  I’m sure we will spend significant sums on free agents in the next two years.  We can do that without coming anywhere near the Yankees’ payroll.  We could afford deGrom if that’s what we wanted to do.   But that’s a lot of eggs in one basket.   

Your first sentence and your last don't line up for me.  The Yankees can afford to put a lot eggs in one basket.   That is not what Elias says he is going to do.

Just now, wildcard said:

Your first sentence and your last don't line up for me.  The Yankees can afford to put a lot eggs in one basket.   That is not what Elias says he is going to do.

I think if you want to win a WS it helps to have at least one big pitching egg, they don't come cheap, and the Orioles haven't been drafting them. Degrom gives you more long term flexibility then a Rodon because it's a shorter contract. 

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to If you could get Jacob deGrom for 2/$90M; would you do it?
6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

He has been the top pitcher in Japan for several years, and is the same age as Rodon. I want the Orioles to sign one pitcher who could be a top 2 starter in the playoffs. I think Senga will be cheaper then either of the other two, but he still projects as a top level pitcher. 

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2022/11/01/kodai-senga-is-officially-a-free-agent-new-scouting-report-on-the-japanese-righty/

Senga might be good but #3 starter seems more realistic than ace and he has some injury risk as well.  He will definitely be cheaper.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A 2/90 contact for Degrom is putting your eggs in one basket but giving 2/66 to Abreu/Clevinger is spreading out your risk?    I’ll take the risk/reward of option 1.

Whoever he pitches for deGrom's late 30's are interesting to me as the book of "Don't pitch much even when you are in college, and maybe you homo sapien with all your man strength get a better chance to do Recent Jacob deGrom things" gets its next few chapters.

2022 Spencer Strider wasn't anyone I learned much about until the postseason, when I heard in the two years before ATL drafted him, he threw 12 college innings.     It kind of reminded me of the Oklahoma State big arm we weren't able to sign, who also flashed big talent in a small number of IP.

Maybe Grayson Rodriguez these past five years should just sort of been chilling out, which I suppose for exaggeration's sake you could say is what Elias/Sig/Blood have been having him do.

24 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think if you want to win a WS it helps to have at least one big pitching egg, they don't come cheap, and the Orioles haven't been drafting them. Degrom gives you more long term flexibility then a Rodon because it's a shorter contract. 

Grayson is the best starter in the minors.  

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A 2/90 contact for Degrom is putting your eggs in one basket but giving 2/66 to Abreu/Clevinger is spreading out your risk?    I’ll take the risk/reward of option 1.

Yes 2 players instead of one is spreading the risk and its 24m less money.  That is probably not much in your income bracket but its a lot to the O's.

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2022/11/01/kodai-senga-is-officially-a-free-agent-new-scouting-report-on-the-japanese-righty/

Senga might be good but #3 starter seems more realistic than ace and he has some injury risk as well.  He will definitely be cheaper.

I'd like to know more about Senga.  I often does he pitch in Japan?  Is it once a week?