Eccel William Correa

Sports Guy

Found this from August (translated to English):

With no experience in the Cuban National Series, he was one of the members of the Cuba team that competed in the U-15 World Cup, held in 2018 in Panama, where he worked in four games and achieved a victory against Australia.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, panick said:

I have never heard of this guy and I'm not familiar with his story.

Why was he surprised that he was signing with the Orioles? Did someone else make that decision for him?

This seems to be the key line.  "after 3 years of sacrifice and uncertainty in the DR."

Apparently, there were issues pertaining to identity, residence, and who knows what else that prevented him from signing with anyone.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, panick said:

I have never heard of this guy and I'm not familiar with his story.

Why was he surprised that he was signing with the Orioles? Did someone else make that decision for him?

He's Cuban.  It's a political thing between Cuba-US. 

My guess - O's recruited/agreed with him before he left Cuba.  Then he had to flee from Cuba so he could legally sign (more so the O's don't get in trouble).  Then a bunch of legal stuff happened while he's in the DR practicing ending his legal limbo.  Kind of like the adoption papers are now formal.

• 1 year later...

Bump…some if you may remember the compelling video from the OP when Eccel Correa learned that the O’s were going to sign him.  That was late in 2022.  In 2023, he did well in 3 DSL appearances, then struggled in 8 FCL appearances.

Correa, 21 this year, made one start in the FCL on May 9 and threw five shutout innings.  He was then promoted to Delmarva.  He allowed 2 runs in 4 IP in his first outing, then threw 5 shutout innings today.  Looks like he may be an interesting pitcher to follow.  

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

Correa pitched 4 shutout innings today and lowered his ERA to 4.13.  Really, almost all his outings have been very good but he had one stinker where he allowed 8 ER in 1.2 innings.  His ERA without that outing is 1.21.  

• Upvote 2