DeGrom to Rangers

DocJJ

Where does this move the Rangers on the "Are the Orioles better than" AL scale?    I'll do the rest of the league.

Are the Orioles better than X

Yes - OAK, DET, KC

Probably - BOS, LAA

Maybe - CLE, CHW, MIN

Probably Not - NYY, TB, SEA

No - HOU, TOR

Central champ still gets a free pass even if they are 83-79.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Where does this move the Rangers on the "Are the Orioles better than" AL scale?    I'll do the rest of the league.

Yes - OAK, DET, KC

Probably - BOS, LAA

Maybe - CLE, CHW, MIN

No - HOU, TOR

With that thought we don’t make playoffs. TB has a great rotation but vulnerable offense. Odds are we need to finish 3rd to have a shot. SEA is for real but now they have to put back to back seasons together. Possible they could slip slightly. NYY will not be as good as last year. 

• 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Not that the O's were ever in on him, but those who said he was too much of a health risk were certainly right.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jacob-degrom-tommy-john-surgery

There’s $64 mm down the drain for 2023-24.  (I’m giving DeGrom 20% credit for his 2023 salary since he made 6 starts.). We’ll see about the out years.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s $64 mm down the drain for 2023-24.  (I’m giving DeGrom 20% credit for his 2023 salary since he made 6 starts.). We’ll see about the out years.

Evidently there is wording in the contract that if he misses more than 130 days due to an elbow injury the Rangers control the option year.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Evidently there is wording in the contract that if he misses more than 130 days due to an elbow injury the Rangers control the option year.

Makes me wonder what kind of insurance the Rangers have on the contract, especially given his injury history.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, Just Regular said:

Yes - OAK, DET, KC

Probably - BOS, LAA

Maybe - CLE, CHW, MIN

No - HOU, TOR

On 12/3/2022 at 2:19 PM, eddie83 said:

With that thought we don’t make playoffs. TB has a great rotation but vulnerable offense. Odds are we need to finish 3rd to have a shot. SEA is for real but now they have to put back to back seasons together. Possible they could slip slightly. NYY will not be as good as last year. 

Funny to revisit this now. Some good winter time observations. 

TEX is playing great without DeGrom. Some of their SP is overachieving. 

Ultimately I think we are a top 6 team record wise but Central still gets a team in. ALC. champ could be 7th best or maybe worse. TEX has replaced SEA this year. 

Unless TEX fades or somehow HOU, BAL will have to finish top 3 of ALE to make the playoffs. 

28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Funny to revisit this now. Some good winter time observations. 

It seems clear 2nd place Central won't be in the chase by now.

SEA is probably not much worse now than they were last year when they ran off that huge winning streak, but Julio or Shohei's teams will need a big run.

TB-NYY-TOR-Central-HOU-TEX feels like the combo to disappoint us, but TOR/NYY/HOU are showing more vulnerabilities than I thought they would this year.    Some extra pressure on Eovaldi and the other Texas SP now after today's big news.

5 hours ago, yark14 said:

Makes me wonder what kind of insurance the Rangers have on the contract, especially given his injury history.

From the Athletic……..

This cannot be a shocking development for the Rangers. When they signed deGrom, the club found that insuring his contract would require premiums too expensive to be worth it, according to reporting from The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal. Instead, they added a proviso to the deal.4