Which winter meeting contracts would you have matched or beaten and why?

Sanity Check

Even though I like Correa better than Turner, Turner leaving perhaps marginal millions 301-350 on the table according to reports implies he's one some Clubs might enjoy having.    But Bryce and Dombrowski make their own center of gravity as I hope Adley will at some point, and doubt 11/300, 11/311 or 11/322 would have closed it for Elias.

I don't think it was by accident Boras' Xander chesspiece was the one to happily rebound Preller's missed attempts to spend mega-millions.    Xander got 25/27ths of Turner, ultimately.    Boras will want Correa above Xander in both years and AAV, I would guess.

I'm 99% sure Elias is going to find another Gibson or Gibson+ value match with someone, as this winter it is just the knight and bishop minor pieces getting put into place, unless Correa or Rodon shock the world.

Turner at his contract would be sort of nice right now though - he has the speed for CF as a Plan B like Adam Jones if you want to conserve his joints for the longer haul.

I think the question should be "beaten" because all things being equal most FA's are going to want to play in a bigger market, a team that is already playoff level, or both. No reason to choose Baltimore in most cases if all we do is match.

I have to say, I don't think there is a contract I have seen that I would have wanted the O's to beat with a wow offer. Maybe 2/28 for Quintana.

5 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Carlos Santana - 1yr/6.75 mil.

Tyler Anderson - 3yrs/39 mil.

Mike Clevinger - 1yr/ 12mil.

Matt Boyd - 1yr/10mil.

Gibson vs Clevinger will be interesting to track. I did not like that Clevinger prioritized partying over team safety and compliance. Not the worst thing but character matters to me and we have a very positive vibe going on with our young playerds. I am fine with passing on him but it won't be a great look if he outperforms Gibson by a lot.

It is hard for me to envision a future where the offseason doesn't involve what we deem to be "insane" contracts.  Basically, I think this will just be the way it is going forward.  And in the same vein, I don't see us ever being able to participate because we just aren't rich enough and our risk profile doesn't align with what is needed in this business.  So it is like a country club we can never join.  

What the Orioles have amazingly managed to do is transfer their feelings of risk-aversion and budget management to their fanbase, such that our fans actually feel relief from not getting stuck in these contracts even though our own bank accounts are not directly impacted (unlike high gas prices or inflation, which we can't easily avoid).  Like any investment, there is always a justification for not making it.  So we are left rooting for these rich teams to regret these deals, probably knowing that even if those contracts hurt them in later years, they will still have enough money to stay in the club while we are perpetually looking in from the outside.  

To answer the original question, I have no idea what a good contract is versus one that is not good.  I can't say I care either.  All I care about is getting to the playoffs and winning when we get there.  Even if we don't sign anyone else all off-season, I don't care....as long as we make the playoffs and win.