Carrasco?

btdart20

3 hours ago, PHRESH said:

I'd love to add Cookie, but I doubt you get 32 starts. Technically, he's only done it once (2017), the only year he's reached 200 IP. That being said, he pitched fairly well last year and managed 29 starts and 152 innings. 

The 32 was meant more as scheduling for 32 starts, essentially being one time through the rotation.  If he misses a few starts that is when Voth and Hall get a spot start, depending on who is up when we need them.  Didn't really mean to imply he would get 32 starts.

The next 5 guys, would rotate through the 2, 3 & 4 spots.  If any miss starts, maybe one of those guys can pick up the extra spot starts or, again Voth and Hall.

The last spot could be split someway between Lugo/Stripling going one+ time through the lineup and/or match-up, etc. and the other relieving.  They could also take turns starting for a few times through and the other in the bullpen and spot starting.  When Means is ready, he would send both Lugo and Stripling to the bullpen unless they are needed to spot start.  Having 5 solid relievers and 9 guys as starting options would be truly ideal since everybody is so young and might have innings limits.

Carrasco and Gibson are free to leave as a free agent in 2024 and we have growth from the other 7 guys (Rodriguez, Means, Bradish, Wells, Hall, Kremer, Voth) while still having Lugo and Stripling.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Just from a baseball point of view, I'd rather have Carrasco than any of the remaining free agents for next season.   If we don't have to give up a top prospect for him, all the better.  

Isn’t the whole point of them trading him because the prices are so high that they will ask for at least a top 10 prospect?

• Upvote 1

I'm honestly not sold on Carrasco as a big upgrade.  He's JAG.  The $14m or 1 year contract means nothing.  Even the injury history (2021 and 2019) don't mean much considering his health and solid production in 2022.  But he's not the droid we're looking for...

I will say I think he can set up his sinker better.  Great movement with a positive 4 run value is a mismatch.