Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm not sure if this move makes a ton of sense.  He's replacing Chirinos, but both had almost identically poor OPS last year.  Now I know the numbers show McCann was a bit unlucky, so maybe his numbers will tick up a bit.  I've not seen him catch a ton recently as I don't watch much non-Os games, but I think he's better behind the plate than Chirinos was last year.  Provided we didn't give up anything really for him, I'm ok with this move as we needed someone to spell Adley behind the plate 40-50 games or so.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Really good move. I like that McCann can DH a little too versus LHP if need be. Aguilar and Mancini struggled in that role last year. The bench is getting better. Givens made the pen better as well. 

This is much better than giving Austin Hedges the contract he got. 

• Upvote 1

My guess is we are not giving up much at all. He underperformed and we took him off their hands after they signed Narvaez. They have Nido and top prospect Alvarez too. They got to save $5 million for a guy who underperformed badly with injuries. Seems like a good deal, depends on his health. 

• Upvote 2

McCann at 2.5/yr for 2 yrs is pretty solid. He had a horrific year offensively last year but there’s good reasons to think he rebounds. Over his career he’s been quite good against LH pitching (but not in a small sample in 2022, he was hilariously bad), so he pairs well with Rutschman. And he has a good reputation defensively I believe.

That said, if they have any actual intention to give James McCann extra at bats at DH or 1B, even against LH pitching, that would be astonishingly stupid. He has a career 83 wRC+ and is projected for 86. Even against LH pitching, he has absolutely no value if he is not catching. 

• Upvote 1

I am assuming we are giving up next to nothing, if so this is a good move. I wanted to pay a decent backup catcher so Adley could catch 100-110 games and DH 50-ish games rather than catch 130+ games. 

McCann is a solid backup and as long as he is comfortable with his role I think this should work out well.

• Upvote 3