Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

40 at catcher. 40 elsewhere. 

40 elsewhere?  He can’t hit. The reason you acquire him is because he’s a serviceable defensive player and a vet leader.  That’s it. 

Adley should catch around 120 games. He’s the best catcher in baseball.

So, if McCann gets the other starts, that’s fine but to have some kind of plan that he can DH or play first in 40 other games is the height of stupidity.

Now, if he unexpectedly has a good season with the bat and you sneak him in more often than a regular back up C, that’s different. But if that is your plan, that tells me they may not be looking for another bat and that’s horrible.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

40 elsewhere?  He can’t hit. The reason you acquire him is because he’s a serviceable defensive player and a vet leader.  That’s it. 

So, if McCann gets the other starts, that’s fine but to have some kind of plan that he can DH or play first in 40 other games is the height of stupidity.

Now, if he unexpectedly has a good season with the bat and you sneak him in more often than a regular back up C, that’s different. But if that is your plan, that tells me they may not be looking for another bat and that’s horrible.

Thirty games of coming in to catch the ninth to give Adley a breather.

• Upvote 2

This deal has some positives and negatives for me.

Positives:

- He’s capable of carrying a starter workload of Adley were to get hurt.

- xBA, xSLG, xWOBA suggest strong potential for an offensive bounce back.

- Was in 62nd percentile for framing last year.

- Lots of major league experience and can play the veteran/mentor role

Negatives:

- $2.5 mm/yr is pricey for a backup C

- Offense was terrible last year.  

- May resent being relegated to a backup role.

- Career framing numbers aren’t good.

- Jury still out on who the PTBNL will be.  Even though not someone at the “top of lists,” it still could be someone with some value.  

This could go either way but does have some minor upside.  

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First off is it 80 games starting or total? 

He starts vs LHP at DH. Career OPS vs LHP .777. 

Vs RHP

Mullins

Adley

Santander 

Mountcastle 

Gunnar

Hays

Stowers

Mateo/Urias split 

Frazier 

vs LHP

Mullins/McKenna some 

Adley

Santander

Mountcastle

Urias

Gunnar

Hays

McCann

Mateo

Obviously can mix and match some.  One more bench player. 

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care what MCann was told, it’s pretty doubtful he plays 80 games unless something unexpected happens.  Chirinos played 67 last year despite the fact that Adley wasn’t on the team for the first 40 games.   Now if McCann plays better than Chirinos he may get a bit more playing time, but 80 games would be a stretch.  In his career more than 90% of his playing time has been at C.

Hard to believe there aren't AAAA type catchers somewhere that are way cheaper and can hit a little

I think we lose 65% of the games that McCann starts at catcher and 60% of the games he starts at either 1B/DH.

We now have two ex Mets who were cut from their playoff roster.

Feels like Buck and his love of veternocity is back calling the shots for the O's

Each move Elias makes, makes the O's a little weaker

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In Connollys article, he had him getting 60-80 starts, with 50 of them at C.

Ok. All adds up. 

Its evident to anyone paying attention outside of Adley, Gunnar, , Santander and Mullins they are trying to play guys 100-120 games a year. Even some of those top guys may have a handful of games shaved off. 

Still want to see who last bench guy is. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Ok. All adds up. 

Its evident to anyone paying attention outside of Adley, Gunnar, , Santander and Mullins they are trying to play guys 100-120 games a year. Even some of those top guys may have a handful of games shaved off. 

Still want to see who last bench guy is. 

But mostly you want your good players to play more.

It's because they are better than the other guys.

My little league team would have been better if the manager hadn't have been forced to play me for instance.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It will be interesting to see how he does at the plate next year. He was hurt in 2022 and had surgery on his left hand. That should be healed by now and his strength should be back by spring training. 

It's smart to pick up a guy who can back up Adley and also likely help a young pitching staff. He's a bit expensive but $2.5mm per year is not going to severely limited even the O's from making other deals. Playing 80 games is different from starting 80 games. I see Adley behind the plate about 115-120 games this year. Whether he plays the entire game behind the plate is a topic for debate. 

Overall an ok move depending on the PTBNL.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But mostly you want your good players to play more.

It's because they are better than the other guys.

My little league team would have been better if the manager hadn't have been forced to play me for instance.

Who says they aren’t? Trying to rest guys and play matchups.