There's a much better Trevor potentially available via trade with the Marlins

Jim'sKid26

We're not getting 2021 Rogers for Hays, Westburg and Vavra. Especially if the only issue last year was the lat strain and there's reason to believe he's 2021 Rogers going forward. You'd have to offer them more like that proposed Corbin Burnes trade package of Cowser/Westburg/Povich/Bradish to get them to bite. And I'm not sure even that's enough. Rogers has 4 years of control left to Burnes's two, though with much less of a track record

• Upvote 1

I do have an interest in Trevor Rogers, but he doesn’t have a good breaking ball, the fastball is a little above average. So, we want to give up what exactly for a guy with one plus pitch, which is a change up?

He pitched 107 innings and had a 5.47 ERA and 4.36 FIP with 8.92 K/9 and 3.79 BB/9 in 2022, a down offensive year. In 2021, he pitched 133 innings and had a 2.64 ERA and 2.55 FIP with 10.62 K/9 and 3.11 BB/9. His HR/9 went from .41  in 2021 to 1.26 in 2022. SG has a point, we do seem to over-value the Marlins’ starters. 

Maybe we like the rawness of him. If they feel like they could teach him a better slider, then great. He had a lat strain at the end of 2022. I am not sure if he had other issues last year. He seems like a guy with good potential, and a more moderate package would be doable. I would wonder why they would trade him.

Edited by Jammer7

27 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I do have an interest in Trevor Rogers, but he doesn’t have a good breaking ball, the fastball is a little above average. So, we want to give up what exactly for a guy with one plus pitch, which is a change up?

He pitched 107 innings and had a 5.47 ERA and 4.36 FIP with 8.92 K/9 and 3.79 BB/9 in 2022, a down offensive year. In 2021, he pitched 133 innings and had a 2.64 ERA and 2.55 FIP with 10.62 K/9 and 3.11 BB/9. His HR/9 went from .41  in 2021 to 1.26 in 2022. SG has a point, we do seem to over-value the Marlins’ starters. 

Maybe we like the rawness of him. If they feel like they could teach him a better slider, then great. He had a lat strain at the end of 2022. I am not sure if he had other issues last year. He seems like a guy with good potential, and a more moderate package would be doable. I would wonder why they would trade him.

So how did that guy pitch to a 2.64 ERA/2.52 FIP two years ago in 25 starts?

I don't follow NL prospects much to know how close Eury Perez is, but is it even true they have more pitching they can use in the first half?

Sandy 213, Pablo 178, Luzardo 146 (100 in 2022 MLB), Cabrera 132 (71), Rogers 120, Garrett 71, Eury P. 46

Uber-prospect Eury Perez 4.15.2003 only threw 77 innings last year, topping out at AA, though that's more development than Jose Fernandez got.

Miami had tire-kicking Johnny Cueto dings before Christmas and as a rule of thumb any org kicking Cueto's tires might not have pitching for trade, even if it is the strength of their roster.