Orioles trade for D Hernandez, Diaz DFA

eddie83

Another good Elias Waiver Wire move. He’s crushed the waiver wire this offseason. He’s almost batting 1.000. Jake Cave being the only “loss”. These are the types of moves that help you gain Wins. 

Benboom  C - DFA and kept

Kolozvary C - DFA and kept 

Jake Cave OF - DFA and lost. The only one lost.

Vallimont RHP - DFA and kept

Darwinzon LHP - DFA and kept. Preciously acquired via trade for Cash after the Red Sawx DFA

Diaz 1B - DFA and Kept

O’Hearn - DFA and Kept

Nevin - DFA and traded to DET for cash

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Another good Elias Waiver Wire move. He’s crushed the waiver wire this offseason. He’s almost batting 1.000. Jake Cave being the only “loss”. These are the types of moves that help you gain Wins. 

Benboom  C - DFA and kept

Kolozvary C - DFA and kept 

Jake Cave OF - DFA and lost. The only one lost.

Vallimont RHP - DFA and kept

Darwinzon LHP - DFA and kept. Preciously acquired via trade for Cash after the Red Sawx DFA

Diaz 1B - DFA and Kept

O’Hearn - DFA and Kept

Nevin - DFA and traded to DET for cash

Except that he's paying O'Hearn $1.4 million and you can certainly argue that catchers he kept are not very major league depth, though at least Kolozvary is good defensively.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Except that he's paying O'Hearn $1.4 million and you can certainly argue that catchers he kept are not very major league depth, though at least Kolozvary is good defensively.

I look at the 700kish that O’Hearn makes over the league min., as well worth if we were to have Mountcastle or Santander go on the IL. It would be a bridge move to call up O’Hearn, and wouldn’t force us to making a trade with negative leverage. 

22 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I look at the 700kish that O’Hearn makes over the league min., as well worth if we were to have Mountcastle or Santander go on the IL. It would be a bridge move to call up O’Hearn, and wouldn’t force us to making a trade with negative leverage. 

Eh, it's an overpay, but I don't hate O'Hearn as a backup. There's enough there to suggest he may be helped by no shifts and his EV and hard hit %s are decent. I'm betting he could have waited for him to clear waivers, and signed him to a minor league/major league split contract. I think Elias really wants a left-handed hitting first baseman but he has Montcastle right now.

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Eh, it's an overpay, but I don't hate O'Hearn as a backup. There's enough there to suggest he may be helped by no shifts and his EV and hard hit %s are decent. I'm betting he could have waited for him to clear waivers, and signed him to a minor league/major league split contract. I think Elias really wants a left-handed hitting first baseman but he has Montcastle right now.

Was he previously outrighted?

The extravagant $$$ for O'Hearn somewhat hints to me Elias was funded to do what he wants to do, and is a little bit more sticking to his valuations on the world's Bassitt, Wacha, Gibson, Frazier type guys vs. having to shop for 1-year, weaker players exclusively out of financial necessity.

Maybe its over factoring in a nothingburger.     In 2024-2025 we'll get some games of Chris Bassitt/Zach Eflin/Nathan Eovaldi vs. "whoever Elias rented that year to soak up some IP".     Its certainly possible in 2023 we'll fall a few games outside the tournament and those better pitchers will make Gibson/Irvin look bad.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

O’Hearn couldn’t refuse a minor league assignment with the Royals. It’s the same thing we did with him and he has to accept going to Norfolk. So there was no split level contract option. 

I look at is as 700k in depth, which essentially bought us an extra 40 man roster spot?  How much is an extra 40 man spot worth?  I think it was a smart move. Elias will be working the 40 man in terms of having fresh arms and fill ins throughout the season. We watched DD do this. Now that we’re “competing” Elias is doing the same. 

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Not a good first impression in an Oriole uniform for Darwinzon.

And he'll have fewer chances to make up for it and impress Hyde.   He'll be leaving for the WBC in a bit over a week and if the Venezuelan team makes a deep run he might not be back until there are less than 10 days left in camp.

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Not a good first impression in an Oriole uniform for Darwinzon.

And he'll have fewer chances to make up for it and impress Hyde.   He'll be leaving for the WBC in a bit over a week and if the Venezuelan team makes a deep run he might not be back until there are less than 10 days left in camp.

Darwinzon needs to go to AAA to improve.   He has the arm but not the control.

Edited by wildcard

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Darwinzon needs to go to AAA to improve.   He has the arm but not the control.

Yeah, given his walk rate there was no chance he was going to break camp with the O's.

It isn't just a matter of nibbling when he reached the majors, his BB/9 is over 7 at AA and AAA. He is clearly not an MLB pitcher at this point.