Kyle Virbisky Scouting report

Tony-OH

28 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I heard he was ranked as the A’s prospect with the best command.  I wonder if they think with his size, they can unlock some additional MPH?  95-97 with the extension of a 6’7” dude puts the hitter in a much tougher spot!

Seems to me that even if the MPH is the same, it would get on the batter faster if the pitch is released closer to the plate.  Taller pitchers are effectively faster than their MPH, as compared to other pitchers, IMO.  Considering both the length of the stride and the reach of the arm, if the ball is released a foot closer to the plate than where other pitchers release it, that's close to a 2% reduction in the distance the ball travels.  That's significant, IMO.

I thought this was a great throw in to a trade I really liked at just Cole for Hernaiz.  Huge starters always have interest as future bullpen pieces.  Kid looks athletic.  If some combo of getting stronger, tweaking mechanics, and not worrying about pitching several innings can add a couple mph, he could become very useful.  

On 1/31/2023 at 8:42 PM, Frobby said:

I listened to the podcast shown in his twitter feed and came away impressed with his mental approach to the game and his workout routines.  He has some interesting takes on the rules changes and the automated strike zone.  Give it a listen.

• Thanks 1