Don't bet against "Mr Everywhere"

wildcard

Jordan Westburg enters Spring Training on a mission.   Make the Orioles 26 man roster  out of spring training.   And I say don't bet against him.  Why?  Because its hard to say no to a middle of the order bat.   

Westburg was a 30th pick in 2020 draft.   He hit 27 homers, 106 RBI, 852 OPS at AA/AAA last season.  He turns 24 in Feb.     He has more plate discipline than Mountcastle.   Runs about as fast as Hays.    If I am writing out the best lineup the O's have to offer it goes Mullins, Adley, Gunnar, Santander,  Westburg.   Middle of the order bat.  That is what he brings to the table.

So where does he play?   I think he plays everywhere except catcher and center field.    We know he can play 2B/SS/3B.   But Westburg is a smart guy.  He knows the O's need a backup 1B.  He knows they need a back up corner outfielder with speed. He knows they need a run producer at DH.   I am betting he comes to camp ready to show he can be the 26th man. 

The O's reportedly want a left-handed bat.   But it really does not matter which side the plate the player hits from.   It matters who he can hit.   At AAA last season Westburg hit for a 890 OPS vs righties and a 830 OPS vs lefties.   Check that box.  He can just hit.

His competition is Terrin Vavra.   And Vavra is not bad choice because he can get on base.  DH/PH.   But Westburg will hit for power, drive in more runs, hit for a good OBP, has a better arm at 2B and is faster.    I think Westburg offers more.

Ryan O'Hearn is a backup 1B.  He can play right field.  He in not fast enough for play left field in Camden. And he can DH.   He is 29 and has a 683 OPS in 1071  plate appearances in the majors.    I am betting Westburg can out hit him and out play him in the field.

So I say don't bet against Jordan Westburg.  Seth Johnson will be put on the 60 day IL before opening day and Westburg is ready to take that spot of the 40 man roster. And the 26th man spot on the OD roster playing "Mr Everywhere".

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

1. He needs to learn to play 1B. It's the easiest route to getting playing time

2. Do they want him playing everyday in AAA or part time in MLB?

3. Service time clock is one of the main reasons he will not make the team out of spring training, barring an injury

You have a good point about the service clock.  So maybe he comes up in late April.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jordan Westburg enters Spring Training on a mission.   Make the Orioles 26 man roster  out of spring training.   And I say don't bet against him.  Why?  Because its hard to say no to a middle of the order bat.   

Westburg was a 30th pick in 2020 draft.   He hit 27 homers, 106 RBI, 852 OPS at AA/AAA last season.  He turns 24 in Feb.     He has more plate discipline than Mountcastle.   Runs about as fast as Hays.    If I am writing out the best lineup the O's have to offer it goes Mullins, Adley, Gunnar, Santander,  Westburg.   Middle of the order bat.  That is what he brings to the table.

So where does he play?   I think he plays everywhere except catcher and center field.    We know he can play 2B/SS/3B.   But Westburg is a smart guy.  He knows the O's need a backup 1B.  He knows they need a back up corner outfielder with speed. He knows they need a run producer at DH.   I am betting he comes to camp ready to show he can be the 26th man. 

The O's reportedly want a left-handed bat.   But it really does not matter which side the plate the player hits from.   It matters who he can hit.   At AAA last season Westburg hit for a 890 OPS vs righties and a 830 OPS vs lefties.   Check that box.  He can just hit.

His competition is Terrin Vavra.   And Vavra is not bad choice because he can get on base.  DH/PH.   But Westburg will hit for power, drive in more runs, hit for a good OBP, has a better arm at 2B and is faster.    I think Westburg offers more.

Ryan O'Hearn is a backup 1B.  He can play right field.  He in not fast enough for play left field in Camden. And he can DH.   He is 29 and has a 683 OPS in 1071  plate appearances in the majors.    I am betting Westburg can out hit him and out play him in the field.

So I say don't bet against Jordan Westburg.  Seth Johnson will be put on the 60 day IL before opening day and Westburg is ready to take that spot of the 40 man roster. And the 26th man spot on the OD roster playing "Mr Everywhere".

Very excited for Westburg too and I could maybe see him making the OD roster if he rakes in ST AND god forbid, we suffer a few injuries in the infield, but chances are we won’t see him til June. But yes, I think he has a shot to be our Marwin Gonzales/Ben Zobrist if not even better. 

BTW, I think I was the first poster on here who suggested Westburg and 1B as a possible future spot and the possibility of him breaking camp as a super utility infielder (I never considered the OF).  However that thought was with Mateo or Urias being traded.   With 4 players (Henderson, Mateo, Urias, Frazier) for 3 positions there’s no room for that role.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

You will will hear from me is he does.   If he doesn't, not so much.

I forgot to congratulate you.  You succeeded where many more infamous posters have failed.  You got Frobby to use the phrase “What the F”.   Amazing!!  😁

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, I think I was the first poster on here who suggested Westburg and 1B as a possible future spot and the possibility of him breaking camp as a super utility infielder (I never considered the OF).  However that thought was with Mateo or Urias being traded.   With 4 players (Henderson, Mateo, Urias, Frazier) for 3 positions there’s no room for that role.

I think you are underestimating the appeal of Westburg's middle of the order bat on a team that has trouble scoring runs.