Angelos Claims He's Not Selling

ThisIsBirdland

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are some pretty big flaws in his numbers, one of which is the assumption that all teams charge the same ticket prices.   I think Forbes’ numbers are probably a lot better.   

I would agree but I think an aggregate is the best as MLB heavily disputes Forbes numbers.  Unfortunately I can't find the other model I used which was more current and had a similar OI to Forbes.  I noted the seat valuation issue earlier in the thread-I thought it hurt large market teams (Forbes seems more in line with the O's at ~$30, Yankees around ~$80 per seat).  The issue I had with Forbes is that there is no methodology (at least I can't find one), how did they get their numbers?  The other issue with all the models is there is no corporate income which for the large market teams can be signifigant (~10% of income).  I am somewhat familar with the Yankee corporate program and have a hard time believing their OI is ($40). 

9 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

I would agree but I think an aggregate is the best as MLB heavily disputes Forbes numbers.  Unfortunately I can't find the other model I used which was more current and had a similar OI to Forbes.  I noted the seat valuation issue earlier in the thread-I thought it hurt large market teams (Forbes seems more in line with the O's at ~$30, Yankees around ~$80 per seat).  The issue I had with Forbes is that there is no methodology (at least I can't find one), how did they get their numbers?  The other issue with all the models is there is no corporate income which for the large market teams can be signifigant (~10% of income).  I am somewhat familar with the Yankee corporate program and have a hard time believing their OI is ($40). 

I have never understood where Forbes gets their numbers.  I’d assumed they had some loose cooperation with the teams, but maybe not, if you’re saying MLB heavily disputes them.  I’ve never read that MLB had issues with those numbers.  Can you point me to that?

Edit: found this, from 2006:

"They make these numbers up," Manfred said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "However close and lucky they may get in aggregate, there are individual instances that materially misstate the situations. From our perspective, we just think it's important that people understand and realize these are not in real in any sense of the word."

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/baseball/article/Baseball-Notebook-MLB-disputes-Forbes-1201754.php

Edited by Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have never understood where Forbes gets their numbers.  I’d assumed they had some loose cooperation with the teams, but maybe not, if you’re saying MLB heavily disputes them.  I’ve never read that MLB had issues with those numbers.  Can you point me to that?

Older article from 2006, but MLB definitely disputes Forbes.

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/baseball/article/Baseball-Notebook-MLB-disputes-Forbes-1201754.php