Ramon Urias 2023

Just Regular

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hate to say it, but Ramon Urias has not looked like himself since coming off the IL.  He’s hitting .095/.136/.191 in 22 PA and not been squaring up a lot of hittable pitches.  Hope he snaps out of it. 

The depth and versatility of this roster will sink him, IMO. To me, he's a volume player. He's gotta play every night to get into a groove and maximize his potential. We saw that last year once he finally took over 3b for good.

Question right now is, is Mateo so lost at the plate (I know he had 2 hits yesterday) right now that we lock in Urias at 3b and Gunnar at SS for a long stretch, or is Gunnar's final destination so likely to be 3b because of the other prospects in our system (not even thinking about Holiday at this moment) that it's not worth giving him the reps there? I think it's probably not worth yanking Gunnar around, but I'm not sure Urias is enough of a SS to do it regularly, and it seems like Fraizer isn't going anywhere any time soon. 

Whatever your thoughts are on the above, the real question is, how do we find 20+ PAs a week for Urias?

9 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

The depth and versatility of this roster will sink him, IMO. To me, he's a volume player. He's gotta play every night to get into a groove and maximize his potential. We saw that last year once he finally took over 3b for good.

Vavra is the same type of player. We saw that last year when he was getting every day playing time, he was usually getting on base. But then when his baby was born and he missed some time, he had a reset and rode the bench. When he did get back in, he just wasn't the same hitter. (I should also note that it took him about 3 games to get going. His 1st game was not good, but then he started improving and getting into a rhythm.) Now this season he's a backup with all the talent we have and when he does get his plate appearances he hasn't been good. It would appear to me that a player like Vavra does not do very well in sporadic play. Contrast that to a player like O'Hearn who usually makes the most of his few opportunities.

With Urias, he's been a clutch hitter for our team so I'm positive that he will get it going again.

But to touch on your question, I think either one of Mateo or Urias should be considered trade material if we are in the market for a top pitcher. I've been warming up to the idea others have floated around here of Mateo being a quality player coming off of the bench because you can pinch run him in any situation and also use him as a defensive replacement. 

As for who would play where, it depends on what they intend to do with Jackson Holliday and some of the other infield prospects. If their intention is for Jackson (or even Ortiz) to play Shortstop when he graduates and gets the call, then you have to keep Gunnar at 3B to become a master there just like they did when they developed Manny Machado. You don't want to keep moving Gunnar back and forth and changing his launch angle. I view the potential future infield a few seasons down the road to be something like this: 3B: Gunnar, SS: Ortiz/Holliday, 2B, Westburg, 1B: Mountcastle? (question mark). Based on what I've seen from Ortiz in his short time up, I think he has the ability to nearly match Mateo's defense. I'm not sure if he would be any better at the plate though. And he certainly would not have the baserunning ability that Mateo has.

Speaking of Urias, he and his brother get to play against each other in this series. I bet they are going to enjoy that.

Just because I'm bitter about this loss tonight and don't want Urias to escape scorn.  

Golden sombrero and to be honest I'm not sure he fouled more than a pitch or 2 off.  Many swings and misses.  OPS in the mid-.600s.  Needs to do better or be replaced.

19 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Just because I'm bitter about this loss tonight and don't want Urias to escape scorn.  

Golden sombrero and to be honest I'm not sure he fouled more than a pitch or 2 off.  Many swings and misses.  OPS in the mid-.600s.  Needs to do better or be replaced.

He’s been completely out of sync since returning from his injury.  

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Urias hasn’t hit a single or drawn a walk in the 25 ABs since returning (he’s 2-for-25 with two doubles). 

We probably should’ve had him rehab. Especially since we had Ortiz on the 40 man at the time, an open 40 man spot for Lester/Westburg. Why rush a dude back?

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We probably should’ve had him rehab. Especially since we had Ortiz on the 40 man at the time, an open 40 man spot for Lester/Westburg. Why rush a dude back?

Maybe they rushed him back after they found out whatever was ailing Ortiz that made him miss a week? Idk. Maybe it was the plan to activate him after 2 games in Aberdeen. Seems silly in hindsight. Westburg should have been called up the day after Urias injured himself. 

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Westburg can't come up soon enough.   Get rid of either Urias or Mateo and make the other one a utility infielder.  

Mateo should exclusively be a pinch runner on this team. That's how terrible he is as a hitter, and also how good of a glove Joey Ortiz has.

The Seattle Mariners just signed Didi Gregorius to a minor league contract out of the Mexican League.  Their bet on Kolton Wong being better than Adam Frazier at 2B is going bad!   Would they be interested in Urias or Mateo?

Edited by JimGinSP

13 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

The Seattle Mariners just signed Didi Gregorius to a minor league contract out of the Mexican League.  Their bet on Kolton Wong being better than Adam Frazier at 2B is going bad!   Would they be interested in Urias or Mateo?

I don't see Elias helping the Mariners.  They have a weaker schedule.   They can be competition for a Wild Card spot.