Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just want to see him keep doing it. Hays had an .834 OPS as late as June 27 last year but it was all downhill from there.  So, I’m hoping to see a good season from him, not just a good half season.

There's a logical explanation for the decline in the 2022 season and that was because he was playing with a bum wrist. What needs to function properly in order to take a good swing at a baseball? Your wrists.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

There's a logical explanation for the decline in the 2022 season and that was because he was playing with a bum wrist. What needs to function properly in order to take a good swing at a baseball? Your wrists.

I have heard people suggest that his hitting declined because he was banged up, and other times I’ve heard Hays say that his swing got out of sync.   Maybe it was a combination of those things, or maybe the wrist caused a swing change.  Whatever.   I want to see if Hays can avoid having those types of things happen this year.  He’s possibly my favorite player on the team, but he still needs to prove he can play well for a complete season.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have heard people suggest that his hitting declined because he was banged up, and other times I’ve heard Hays say that his swing got out of sync.   Maybe it was a combination of those things, or maybe the wrist caused a swing change.  Whatever.   I want to see if Hays can avoid having those types of things happen this year.  He’s possibly my favorite player on the team, but he still needs to prove he can play well for a complete season.

Or maybe it's just hot and cold stretches. 

• Upvote 1

In today's game hitting requires constant adjustment because computer apps are constantly analyzing a hitter's vulnerabilities.  Now that was always true, even before computer analysis, but  now the computer does the scouting.  

So typically the league will exploit that weakness until the hitter overcomes it.  Of course, the pitcher still needs to execute.  

• Upvote 1

That was an odd play the way the ball bounced at the catcher, but generally speaking I think Gunnar should learn to be patient and pick his spots selectively when he wants to steal. He should try to lull the pitcher and catcher to sleep before running. And also when on 1st, hold the baseman on the bag to create a bigger hole that his hitter can hit through.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

That was an odd play the way the ball bounced at the catcher, but generally speaking I think Gunnar should learn to be patient and pick his spots selectively when he wants to steal. He should try to lull the pitcher and catcher to sleep before running. And also when on 1st, hold the baseman on the bag to create a bigger hole that his hitter can hit through.

Wrong thread?

The Os have an interesting potential dilemma brewing the OF.

Hays is playing very well but has a history of being unreliable and unavailable. Even if he makes it through this whole season healthy and keeps up an 800ish (or better) OPS, do you really feel like you can trust him to be an everyday guy next year?

On top of that, you have Kjerstad or Mayo for one COF spot and likely Cowser for another. Now, maybe Cowser can play CF but then you have to do something with Mullins.

I am all for trading Mullins after the season because I don’t want to sign him long term. 

You also have Fabian who is coming fast. He will likely get close to half a season in AA and as a college draft pick, he could move fast and he may be the best defensive CFer in the organization.

You also have Haskin who is perhaps a 4th OFer.

This is all to say that the team has a lot of decisions to make in the OF soon and while it’s not likely that everything works out for the best, the Os drafted these guys high, paid them good money and are obviously high on them.

I have to think the old, out with old and in with the new will be happening.

Will Hays be here next year? Will Mullins? 

As we look forward to what the rest of this year brings, healthy and good seasons from the vets could pay huge dividends for this team, in more than 1 way.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os have an interesting potential dilemma brewing the OF.

Hays is playing very well but has a history of being unreliable and unavailable. Even if he makes it through this whole season healthy and keeps up an 800ish (or better) OPS, do you really feel like you can trust him to be an everyday guy next year?

On top of that, you have Kjerstad or Mayo for one COF spot and likely Cowser for another. Now, maybe Cowser can play CF but then you have to do something with Mullins.

I am all for trading Mullins after the season because I don’t want to sign him long term. 

You also have Fabian who is coming fast. He will likely get close to half a season in AA and as a college draft pick, he could move fast and he may be the best defensive CFer in the organization.

You also have Haskin who is perhaps a 4th OFer.

This is all to say that the team has a lot of decisions to make in the OF soon and while it’s not likely that everything works out for the best, the Os drafted these guys high, paid them good money and are obviously high on them.

I have to think the old, out with old and in with the new will be happening.

Will Hays be here next year? Will Mullins? 

As we look forward to what the rest of this year brings, healthy and good seasons from the vets could pay huge dividends for this team, in more than 1 way.

I don't think the O's sign any of Santander, Mullins or Hays long term.

I'd be surprised to see Elias start  2 rookie outfielders at once. 

On the verge of playoff contention, the O's traded the renowned 99 mph sinkerballer but I don't see them trading one of these 3 this year at the deadline which means a winter transaction. But I doubt 2 go at once. Santander is a '25 FA, Hays and Mullins '26 FA's.

If Cowser comes up in a few weeks and finishes the year well, maybe that speeds trades up by a year. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I don't think the O's sign any of Santander, Mullins or Hays long term.

I'd be surprised to see Elias start  2 rookie outfielders at once. 

On the verge of playoff contention, the O's traded the renowned 99 mph sinkerballer but I don't see them trading one of these 3 this year at the deadline which means a winter transaction. But I doubt 2 go at once. Santander is a '25 FA, Hays and Mullins '26 FA's.

If Cowser comes up in a few weeks and finishes the year well, maybe that speeds trades up by a year. 

Yea, I don’t think any of them are traded during the season unless the team completely collapses.(which isn’t happening imo)

And you pose a good thought as well.  Do they go with a lot of young guys. They didn’t this year in the infield. Now, the difference is that Cowser should be up soon so unless he sucks, he’s definitely starting next year and unless Kjerstad sucks or is traded, he’s definitely here next year at some point, if not immediately (if not this year).

That still leaves open keeping one of Mullins or Hays and btw, I neglected to mention Stowers in all of this and he should not be tossed aside as nothing, despite what some on here think.

Trades are definitely going to need to be made. The question is who.

There is no doubt that a healthy, good year from Hays really benefits the team though. I mean, I know that’s obvious but I’m just saying that it opens up a lot of potential doors for different moves in the offseason.  If he has an injury filled, poor performance second half, it makes some of these decisions easier but it also makes his value drop a lot.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I don’t think any of them are traded during the season unless the team completely collapses.(which isn’t happening imo)

And you pose a good thought as well.  Do they go with a lot of young guys. They didn’t this year. Now, the difference is that Cowser should be up soon so unless he sucks, he’s definitely starting next year and unless Kjerstad sucks or is traded, he’s definitely here next year at some point, if not immediately (if not this year).

That still leaves open keeping one of Mullins or Hays and btw, I neglected to mention Stowers in all of this and he should not be tossed aside as nothing, despite what some on here think.

Trades are definitely going to need to be made. The question is who.

There is no doubt that a healthy, good year from Hays really benefits the team though. I mean, I know that’s obvious but I’m just saying that it opens up a lot of potential doors for different moves in the offseason.  If he has an injury filled, poor performance second half, it makes some of these decisions easier but it also makes his value drop a lot.

I agree. But some part of the process will change and I don't see how just yet. I'm confused about Mountcastle and Mateo continuing to play unless the idea is to try to prop up their value for a trade. 

If there is an aversion to playing 2 rookies at once, that's a long term problem because it's not just Cowser and Kjerstad and Stowers (as you mentioned). It's also Westburg and Ortiz and Norby, and then the next wave will be Mayo and Fabian and Holliday and I'm a believer in Beavers. I don't think those are names that are traded unless it's Norby because of defensive limits. 

Hopefully Cowser and Westburg are up within 10-12 days and finish the year great. Then Kjerstad and Ortiz establish themselves early next year. But that's a whole lot of young hitters in a very short time.