Opening Day weather in Boston

Going Underground

Seems like MLB would make some sort of effort to put these northern teams without domed stadiums on the road for at least a week to open the season. I know it's not going to suddenly be spring up there in a week or 10 days but it would at least take a few of these bad weather games off the schedule. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, vab said:

Seems like MLB would make some sort of effort to put these northern teams without domed stadiums on the road for at least a week to open the season. I know it's not going to suddenly be spring up there in a week or 10 days but it would at least take a few of these bad weather games off the schedule. 

MLB isn't going to take away Opening Day from the richest and most powerful teams in the league- i.e. the mostly northern teams in stadiums without domes.

Your suggestion is perfectly reasonable.  Reason isn't the issue here.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

MLB isn't going to take away Opening Day from the richest and most powerful teams in the league- i.e. the mostly northern teams in stadiums without domes.

Your suggestion is perfectly reasonable.  Reason isn't the issue here.

Quick check, looks to me like Boston has started on the road 7 out of the last 10 seasons.

I don't think MLB goes out of their way to appease any particular team in this.  I agree with vab that it would be ideal to start everyone in a warm weather or domed climate but it's not really fair for the more northern teams to never get Opening Day at home.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Quick check, looks to me like Boston has started on the road 7 out of the last 10 seasons.

I don't think MLB goes out of their way to appease any particular team in this.  I agree with vab that it would be ideal to start everyone in a warm weather or domed climate but it's not really fair for the more northern teams to never get Opening Day at home.  

Baltimore used to start at home every season so the President could throw out the first pitch if they so desired.  The Nationals get that perk now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Baltimore used to start at home every season so the President could throw out the first pitch if they so desired.  The Nationals get that perk now.

Nice - when I was younger I noted that we always started at home but never knew that was the reason why.  I like it.  

Opening in March is a few days earlier then usual in most years. I did look at the extended forecast and eight days out are not very accurate but Oriole opener looks like sunny and high near 70.

They did try opening in domes and warmer weather cities one year after many cancellations the prior year but seemed to stop after that . Interesting that one of the non rainy and warmer cities ,San Diego might have rain and only in the fifties. I think they have only had something like 4 rainouts in their history  California has had some strange weather this year,parts of LA have had more snow then Baltimore. 

33 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't care about your facts and statistics.  We all know MLB is involved in a conspiracy to favor the Red Sox and Yankees at the detriment of the Orioles.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1