Game 2 Thoughts

Moose Milligan

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Bullpen wasn't the main pitching issue; Kremer was

Kremer was bad, no doubt. But at the end of the day, they allowed four runs over 6 innings though obviously two of them should not have happened. Either way, they had to pitch out of a lot of jams and never made it look very easy. Grant it this Red sox team can put quite the lineup together, but the bullpen was/is missing that shutdown guy.

I'm not worried about Bautista since I think he'll come around fine, but I really have no confidence in anyone else out there besides Perez. Missing Tate and Givens is going to hurt.

The pitching and defense were so unexpectedly good last year it is hard to come back to earth. But it is only 2 games, and we are missing some arms. Hopefully the D is just a fluke.

I like the bats, the speed, and the plate discipline so far.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Kremer was bad, no doubt. But at the end of the day, they allowed four runs over 6 innings though obviously two of them should not have happened. Either way, they had to pitch out of a lot of jams and never made it look very easy. Grant it this Red sox team can put quite the lineup together, but the bullpen was/is missing that shutdown guy.

I'm not worried about Bautista since I think he'll come around fine, but I really have no confidence in anyone else out there besides Perez. Missing Tate and Givens is going to hurt.

2 earned runs and the walk off HR is a routine fly in many parks

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If you think this one game could cost them a spot in playoffs?

If at the end of the season, we have one fewer win than the requirement at that time to make the playoffs? 

Then yes, this game (which is literally a win that we needlessly converted into a loss) would have cost us the playoffs.  That's how counting works. 

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

2 earned runs and the walk off HR is a routine fly in many parks

Huh? The EV and distance aren't available for some reason but that ball was a laser. I'm guessing that a homer in every stadium, over Camden Yards.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

If at the end of the season, we have one fewer win than the requirement at that time to make the playoffs? 

Then yes, this game (which is literally a win that we needlessly converted into a loss) would have cost us the playoffs.  That's how counting works. 

So the Orioles will win zero games this year they should have lost? 

If a drop occurs in the 3rd inning it’s the same as the 9th inning correct ?

• Upvote 1

There had to be a 0.1% chance the Red Sox would win as that ball was coming down into the glove.  So at some point this season we really need to steal a game that we have absolutely no business winning.  Preferably against Boston, who I hate more than the Yankees.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

So the Orioles will win zero games this year they should have lost? 

If a drop occurs in the 3rd inning it’s the same as the 9th inning correct ?

> So the Orioles will win zero games this year they should have lost? 

Not at all my point. I feel like we're having different conversations. 

We play in the most competitive division in baseball.  It's entirely possible that we have a fantastic rest of the season, win 92 games, and we needed 93 for the Wild Card.  And at that point, a missing win that you gave away makes all the difference. 

And yes, you can argue that other close wins and losses happen, but very few games are like this one, where you can say that you literally won a game, except you converted that sure win into a loss because you dropped the routine game ending fly ball that's caught 9,999 times every 10,000 tries in the MLB.

> If a drop occurs in the 3rd inning it’s the same as the 9th inning correct?

Incorrect, if said fly ball in the ninth would have literally ended the game with a win for your team.  There isn't a more impactful play in baseball than dropping said fly ball, and then going on to lose the game instead.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Sorry, I thought that I read somewhere that it wasn't. My mistake, but they are still unearned runs

True. Trust me, we all know the game was won if not for the inexcusable drop, but Bautista still ultimately got beat on his low fastball to a fastball hitter. I'll be honest, I wasn't thrilled with pitch call there. 1-0 dead red fastball hitter. Even if he gest behind 2-0, I think you gotta keep throwing that split finger. I'd rather walk him and face Triston Casas then throw him a fastball in a fastball count.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

> So the Orioles will win zero games this year they should have lost? 

Not at all my point. I feel like we're having different conversations. 

We play in the most competitive division in baseball.  It's entirely possible that we have a fantastic rest of the season, win 92 games, and we needed 93 for the Wild Card.  And at that point, a missing win that you gave away makes all the difference. 

And yes, you can argue that other close wins and losses happen, but very few games are like this one, where you can say that you literally won a game, except you converted that sure win into a loss because you dropped the routine game ending fly ball that's caught 9,999 times every 10,000 tries in the MLB.

> If a drop occurs in the 3rd inning it’s the same as the 9th inning correct?

Incorrect, if said fly ball in the ninth would have literally ended the game with a win for your team.  There isn't a more impactful play in baseball than dropping said fly ball, and then going on to lose the game instead.

So a misplay in the 9th inning isn’t the same as the 3rd? It’s still an out. 

But Game 2 is as meaningful as any other game? Was waiting for someone to fall into the trap.