Connor Norby 2023

glenn__davis

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He was unable to complete a tailor made 6-4-3 when his throw sailed right of 1B last night. But of course, he went 3-for-5 with 4 RBIs.

The dude can hit, but I don't think he's going to sniff 2B with the Orioles because of the defense.

Where would he play then?  For some other team?

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Where would he play then?  For some other team?

There's a lot of different factors that would decide that. He could be traded to another team or he will be moved to left field but Westburg needs a place to play as well.

This is why Elias should have moved some of his talent this offseason for the pitching this team needed. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There's a lot of different factors that would decide that. He could be traded to another team or he will be moved to left field but Westburg needs a place to play as well.

This is why Elias should have moved some of his talent this offseason for the pitching this team needed. 

Not sure any combination of talent that would have been tolerable would have beat the Twins offer for Lopez.  Who else was available? I suspect the plan is to see what they have in the rotation and in the minors for half a season. If in it, then they try to make a big deal, similar to what Astros did with Verlander. 

Edited by baltfan

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

Not sure any combination of talent that would have been tolerable would have beat the Twins offer for Lopez.  Who else was available? I suspect the plan is to see what they have in the rotation and in the minors for half a season. If in it, then they try to make a big deal, similar to what Astros did with Verlander. 

Why would you think that I or anyone else would know who was available? It's not my job to know that, it's Elias and his staff's job. When you have a surplus of talent in one area you trade it for your lack of talent in other areas (pitching). 

Elias and his staff has done a good job of collectors hitters, but several or them are defensively challenged or play positions where this team has major league talent. 

The only trade that Elias made was to get Irvin for Hernaiz. Time will tell whether that will work out but it was the right move (position of strength for pitching).

Norby was a prime suspect to be traded and even he made a statement last offseason that he expected to be traded. He was not and now he's tearing up AAA offensively, but continue to look like a guy who probably is not a second baseman long term. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Why would you think that I or anyone else would know who was available? It's not my job to know that, it's Elias and his staff's job. When you have a surplus of talent in one area you trade it for your lack of talent in other areas (pitching). 

Elias and his staff has done a good job of collectors hitters, but several or them are defensively challenged or play positions where this team has major league talent. 

The only trade that Elias made was to get Irvin for Hernaiz. Time will tell whether that will work out but it was the right move (position of strength for pitching).

Norby was a prime suspect to be traded and even he made a statement last offseason that he expected to be traded. He was not and now he's tearing up AAA offensively, but continue to look like a guy who probably is not a second baseman long term. 

You said, "This is why Elias should have moved some of his talent this offseason for the pitching this team needed. " This is a criticism.  All I was asking was what you had in mind.

Of course, no one knows everyone available for trade in the offseason, but I cannot remember the last significant pitcher traded in the offseason that no one had heard was on the block.   This past offseason, we heard that the Brewers may be willing to move Burnes or Woodruff.  I presume you would favor trading for one or maybe even both.  If so, what would you have been willing to give up?  Are there other trades that you had in mind?  Is there maybe a team that has deep pitching in the minors that you think they should trade prospect for prospect with?

I don't expect you to be all-knowing, but you write tons of articles regarding the Orioles, scout the prospects and presumably scout other teams in scouting the prospects, so I was just interested in your more informed opinion than mine. I respect your opinion. That's why I asked.  

On 4/10/2023 at 10:26 AM, baltfan said:

You said, "This is why Elias should have moved some of his talent this offseason for the pitching this team needed. " This is a criticism.  All I was asking was what you had in mind.

Of course, no one knows everyone available for trade in the offseason, but I cannot remember the last significant pitcher traded in the offseason that no one had heard was on the block.   This past offseason, we heard that the Brewers may be willing to move Burnes or Woodruff.  I presume you would favor trading for one or maybe even both.  If so, what would you have been willing to give up?  Are there other trades that you had in mind?  Is there maybe a team that has deep pitching in the minors that you think they should trade prospect for prospect with?

I don't expect you to be all-knowing, but you write tons of articles regarding the Orioles, scout the prospects and presumably scout other teams in scouting the prospects, so I was just interested in your more informed opinion than mine. I respect your opinion. That's why I asked.  

Gotcha. With as much time as i put into the Orioles prospects, I really don't spend a lot of time looking at other teams prospects or even major league players. I've never been much of a "build a trade" guy.

Either way, to get this back to Norby, he's a guy they will have to decide that they can live with the defense at 2B, give him more time in the outfield, or use a trade chip, because his bat is going to play at the major league level IMHO.

Cleveland is completely overloaded with pitching options... they have a decent enough rotation as is, then they've got Tanner Bibee and Gavin Williams knocking on the door and Daniel Espino, who's thought to be better than either of those guys, rehabbing an injury and due back in May.

1 hour ago, blid said:

Cleveland is completely overloaded with pitching options... they have a decent enough rotation as is, then they've got Tanner Bibee and Gavin Williams knocking on the door and Daniel Espino, who's thought to be better than either of those guys, rehabbing an injury and due back in May.

I like Bibee a lot but doubt he is available. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Gunnar has officially graduated from the lists?

Stating the obvious here, but still boggles the mind to think that the O's have 8 guys in this top 100--with two in the top 10--and that's not even including the past two former number one prospects in Adley/Gunnar. With Mayo/Basallo/Beavers/Fabian/Povich all having a shot at elbowing their way in by year's end. Probably won't ever again see our system this strong.