Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

Just now, wildcard said:

There may be untouchable but there are also players with 5 or 6 year of team control that it make little sense to trade.  Kjerstad, Cowser, Bradfield, Beavers, Johnson, Hall, Bautista, Westburg,  and Ortiz.   The price will probably be so high on these player that no team would meet the asking price.  For next year Santander, Mullins and Hays may be in the category.

Like I said, maybe 30.

Let's just stack these guys up at Norfolk like cordwood. 

That will help the ML team.

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There may be untouchable but there are also players with 5 or 6 year of team control that it make little sense to trade.  Kjerstad, Cowser, Bradfield, Beavers, Johnson, Hall, Bautista, Westburg,  and Ortiz.   The price will probably be so high on these player that no team would meet the asking price.  For next year Santander, Mullins and Hays may be in the category.

I am sure they would trade one of Cowser or Kjerstad, Bradfield, Beavers, Ortiz, Westburg, Johnson, and Hall for the right players. 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I am sure they would trade one of Cowser or Kjerstad, Bradfield, Beavers, Ortiz, Westburg, Johnson, and Hall for the right players. 

There is always a chance but the chance is probably low.  I guess we would have to see what the "right player" looks like.

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Along with Holliday and Basallo, he's an untouchable in my opinion.

I hear this, and pretty much agree. But if we were offered Logan Webb or George Kirby straight up for Mayo would we hang up on that call? Maybe, maybe not. I'd try to make a counter offer involving 3-4 lesser prospects, but if the other guy insisted on that particular one for one I'd have a hard time saying no. 

I’m looking forward to the offseason write ups on Mayo, particularly for his 3B defense. The team continued to give him a lot of time at 3B so they must still think that could still be his home. The futures of Westburg and Ortiz with this organization are contingent on whether Mayo is playing 3B or not.

The offensive upside of a Holliday/Henderson/Mayo infield from 2B/SS/3B is off the charts, and a real possibility given how well Gunnar played at SS this year. But that only happens if Mayo can cut it at 3B. 

54 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Everything I hear suggests Mayo is currently adequate at 3B. He does some things well and others not so much. But he's pretty likely to get worse as he ages given how big he is. I wouldn't look to him at 3B long-term, but he could probably play there (okay) for a few years.

I’m just going to put this out there: his fielding percentage sucks.  Now a lot of minor league errors disappear in the majors because the fields are nicer and major league 1B are better at scooping bounced throws.  But compare Mayo’s AA and AAA numbers at 3B with Gunnar and Westburg’s.

Mayo: .914 in AA, .925 in AAA (2023)

Henderson: .966 in AA, .945 on AAA (2022)

Westburg: .955 in AA, .943 in AAA (2022)

i already said that some minor league errors disappear in the majors.  And, players with above average range can make up for making more errors.  But, I’ve heard nothing suggesting Mayo has above average range.  (I could include Range Factor stats here, but I find them unreliable as a true measure of range.). So, for right now, I’m expecting Mayo to be below average defensively at 3B for a major leaguer.  You can get away with that if the guy hits the snot out of the ball (see Rafael Devers), but I’d prefer not to.  So, either Mayo needs to keep working on his 3B defense in the minors, or he needs to change positions.  

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m just going to put this out there: his fielding percentage sucks.  Now a lot of minor league errors disappear in the majors because the fields are nicer and major league 1B are better at scooping bounced throws.  But compare Mayo’s AA and AAA numbers at 3B with Gunnar and Westburg’s.

Mayo: .914 in AA, .925 in AAA (2023)

Henderson: .966 in AA, .945 on AAA (2022)

Westburg: .955 in AA, .943 in AAA (2022)

i already said that some minor league errors disappear in the majors.  And, players with above average range can make up for making more errors.  But, I’ve heard nothing suggesting Mayo has above average range.  (I could include Range Factor stats here, but I find them unreliable as a true measure of range.). So, for right now, I’m expecting Mayo to be below average defensively at 3B for a major leaguer.  You can get away with that if the guy hits the snot out of the ball (see Rafael Devers), but I’d prefer not to.  So, either Mayo needs to keep working on his 3B defense in the minors, or he needs to change positions.  

I agree with this, but FWIW, I seem to remember Tony saying that Mayo moves well laterally (which sounds like it's range) and has an absolute cannon, but has a really hard time coming in on balls. It might actually be more of a "hands" issue than a range issue

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I heard Gunnar was just avg at SS in the minors.  He was clearly bette in the majors. No one said Wastburg was near as good in the field as he was in the majors.  I will wait until Mayo comes up to make a judgment. 

I think while they all were in the minors there was a pretty clear pecking order in terms of their defensive abilities.   

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:44 PM, Frobby said:

I think while they all were in the minors there was a pretty clear pecking order in terms of their defensive abilities.   

True, but both Henderson and Westburg are well above average 3B. Mayo could still be below them and still adequate such that it’s better to keep him at 3B than move him off it. 

Just now, CaptainRedbeard said:

True, but both Henderson and Westburg are well above average 3B. Mayo could still be below them and still adequate such that it’s better to keep him at 3B than move him off it. 

Mayo’s offense would have to be significantly superior for that to make sense.   Otherwise, why not use Henderson or Westburg there and get Mayo’s bat in the lineup at 1B/DH/RF?   

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Mayo’s offense would have to be significantly superior for that to make sense.   Otherwise, why not use Henderson or Westburg there and get Mayo’s bat in the lineup at 1B/DH/RF?   

Absolutely they won’t force Mayo to 3B with the current team construction. I think the only scenario where Mayo plays 3B with the Orioles is if he is adequate there, Henderson is at SS, Holliday is at 2B, Westburg is traded and Ortiz is either traded or made a backup infielder if he doesn’t hit well at the MLB level.  I think there’s a pretty good chance that each individual leg of that series of events could happen, just not all of them together.

Basically, the Orioles’ assessment of Mayo’s ability to play 3B will inform how willing they are to trade one or both of Westburg and Ortiz. And Mayo being a worse 3B than Henderson and Westburg does not mean that he is not adequate there.

• Upvote 1